Gnoll House

Has been described as a Rejected Uncertain

There are no visible remains

NameGnoll House
Alternative Names
Historic CountryGlamorgan
Modern AuthorityNeath Port Talbot
1974 AuthorityWest Glamorgan

Gnoll House was built by Sir Herbert Mackworth in 1776-8, the architect was John Johnson of Leicester. The house was 3 storied with an attached glass conservatory, it had round corner towers in a Georgian castellated style and either replaced or was adapted from an earlier house in the classical style. In 1881 the castellations were removed and the east wing was demolished. The entire house was demolished in 1957. (Coflein)

Gatehouse Comments

Modern house given possible medieval origin as possible castle by the welsh scholar and forger Edward Williams (Iolo Morgannwg). This house was demolished in 1957 and some evidence of an Elizabethan house was found beneath the house of 1766. The foundations remain on display.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSS760972
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 173
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy (as post-medieval house)