Cuddenbreak Manor, St Germans

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop)

There are no visible remains

NameCuddenbreak Manor, St Germans
Alternative NamesCudden Beke; Cuddenbeak
Historic CountryCornwall
Modern AuthorityCornwall
1974 AuthorityCornwall
Civil ParishSt Germans

The episcopal manor house of Cuddenbeak, used as a country seat by the bishops of Exeter, stood on the site of St. Germans railway goods station (named at SX 361574 on OS 6" 1891). It was occupied in 1703 later becoming a farmhouse, but ruined by Defoe's time (a). The ruins were still visible about 1868. Henderson notes that half the manor of St Germans passed to the Bishop of Exeter in 1042 under the name of 'Cuddenbeak'. (PastScape)

Leland wrote "And at this day the Bisshop of Exceter hathe a place callid Cudden Beke joyning hard upon the southeast side of the same towne"

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSX361574
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 549-51
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 177
  • Sheppard, P.A., 1980, The Historic Towns of Cornwall p. 53
  • Elliott-Binns, L.E., 1955, Medieval Cornwall p. 302-5
  • Henderson, Charles, 1925, The Cornish church guide and Parochial History of Cornwall p. 70-2
  • Polsue, J., 1868, A complete parochial history of the county of Cornwall (William Lake, Truro & John Camden Hotten, London) Vol. 2 p. 53 online copy
  • Defoe, Daniel (abridged and edited with an introduction and notes by Pat Rogers), 1971, A tour through the whole island of Great Britain p. 340


  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 87
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1907, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 325 online copy


  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)