Wall, Herefordshire

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are no visible remains

NameWall, Herefordshire
Alternative NamesWalle
Historic CountryHerefordshire
Modern AuthorityHerefordshire
1974 AuthorityHereford and Worcester
Civil Parish

Licence to crenellate was granted to William Galeys (sic) in 1329. (Emery 2000)

Gatehouse Comments

Gatehouse can find no reference to a William Galeys, There are numerous possible Wall place-names such as Walford or Craswall. In Parker the name is spelt 'le Caleys'. Unfortunately the suffix 'de Caleys' (of Calais) is rather commonly used. There does seem to be some association between the Mortimers of Wigmore and the 'de Galeys' (A Philip de Galeys was abbot at Wigmore abbey), so perhaps a site in Walford parish.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid Reference

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 601
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 409 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1891, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1327-30) Vol. 1 p. 388 online copy