Castle Hewin

Has been described as a Rejected Masonry Castle

There are no visible remains

NameCastle Hewin
Alternative NamesCastle Hewen; Castle Luen; Castellewyn; Castlehewings; Castle Lewen
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishHesket

The foundations of Castle Hewin in 1794 were in places 8 ft. thick, and one building was 233 ft. x 147 ft. It was situated on the top of a ridge adjoining Aiketgate, and there were outer defences and long extended trenches. (Hutchinson)

Leyland (circ. 1533) refers to the ruined Castle Hewen, which was probably a Mediaeval stronghold. The site has been ploughed out and the only trace is a depression near the summit. (Graham)

Excavated in 1978-9 by Tom Clare, the only finds were Romano-British. An interim report in typescript is in Carlisle Library (Perriam and Robinson). (PastScape)

On the crown of a lofty eminence, towards the north east of the lake, and adjoining Aiket-gate, are the remains of a very strong building, which has consisted of several apartments, strengthened with out-works, and long extended trenches.

The dimensions of the building are 233 feet, by 147; besides a smaller one at one corner, 49 feet square. The foundations still appear, faced with large stoncs of Ashler work; in some places eight feet in thickness. At what time this fortress was erected, or to whom it belonged, we find few traces in ancient authors. It is called, by the neighbouring inhabitants, Castle Hewin, and the neighbouring tenants pay to the Lord of the manor, a yearly rent, which is called Castle Hewin rent. Tradition reports it to have been one of the fortresses and strong holds of King Ewaine. (Hutchinson 1794)

Gatehouse Comments

Castle, King writes tower, of probable medieval origin, recorded as ruined by Leland in 1553. Also recorded by Hutchinson in 1794. Jackson thinks probably refers to a vanished Iron Age fort. Chandler transcribes Leland as "Six miles from Carlisle in Inglewood Forest may be seen the ruins of a castle called Castel Luen. I must remember to find out from the (Antonine) Itinerary the positions of the old towns" which suggest Leland knew the site was Roman. Can be reject as medieval castle.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY485462
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Perriam, Denis and Robinson, John, 1998, The Medieval Fortified Buildings of Cumbria (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 29) p. 197
  • Jackson, M.J.,1990, Castles of Cumbria (Carlisle: Carel Press) p. 96
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 92
  • Curwen, J.F., 1913, Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire North of the Sands (Kendal: CWAAS Extra Series 13) p. 263-4
  • Jefferson, S., 1840, History and Antiquities of Leith Ward in the county of Cumberland p. 225
  • Hutchinson, Wm., 1794, The history of the county of Cumberland Vol. 1 p. 492-3 online copy


  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 97
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1910, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 5 p. 56 online copy


  • Graham, T.H.B., 1909, 'Six Extinct Cumberland Castles' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 9 p. 209-212 online copy