Quenington Court

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are earthwork remains

NameQuenington Court
Alternative Names
Historic CountryGloucestershire
Modern AuthorityGloucestershire
1974 AuthorityGloucestershire
Civil ParishQuenington

(SP 148 039) A preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers was founded at Quenington c 1193 and dissolved in 1540. Quenington Court (SP14810388), mainly 19th cent, stands on the site of the preceptory, and the gatehouse still survives, with a 13th cent postern doorway. The surrounding moat visible in Rudder's time is mentioned by Mrs Clifford in her report of excavations carried out in the grounds of the Court (at SP 1479 0391) in 1958. Discoveries at that time included 12th and 13th cent stonework, animal bones and fragments of cooking pots, suggesting that this area was included in the kitchen quarters of the preceptory. The round dovecote, with its potence still in existence, may be the one mentioned by Prior Philip de Thame to the Grand Master Elyan de Villanove in 1338.

Quenington Court SP 147 039. A small excavation before the grounds were laid out located a large stone building which was probably the Hall of the Knights Templars built c 1200. An earlier building of whose walls consisted of stone bonded clay was destroyed to build the hall; pottery, all unglazed, associated with the earlier building was 11th - 12th c. Several pieces of ecclesiastical painted glass suggested that the chapel is nearby (Reece 1971).

Quenington Court, both the gatehouse with its postern doorway (SP 1482 0397) and the dovecote, (SP 1475 0391) remain in outstanding condition. The grounds of the Court were extensively landscaped in the 17 c and no remains of the moat can now be identified. No trace remains of Cliffords 1958 excavation, and the owner has no knowledge as to the position of the 13 c hall mentioned by Reece. However during renovation around 1971 she recalls stonework being discovered at SP 1480 0389, immediately SW of the house; it seems likely that this represents the site of the hall described by Reece (F1 GB 16-JAN-75). (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

The granges of the military orders may well have been particularly dressed up with martial features, such as crenellations, to reflect the status and role of the order. Granges contained valuable goods and needed some protection and the possible presence of experienced fighters may have made these particularly secure.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSP148039
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink

No photos available. If you can provide pictures please contact Castlefacts

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 111
  • Brooke, C.J., 2000, Safe Sanctuaries (Edinburgh; John Donald) p. 159
  • Herbert, N.M. (ed), 1981, VCH Gloucestershire Vol. 7 p. 121- online copy
  • Verey, David, 1979, Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds p. 375
  • Knowles, David and Hadcock, R. Neville, 1971, Medieval religious houses in England and Wales (Longman)┬áp. 305-6
  • Daubency, U., 1921, Ancient Cotswold Churches (Cheltenham) p. 169-70 online copy
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1907, VCH Gloucestershire Vol. 2 p. 113 (history only) online transcription
  • Rudder, S., 1779, A new history of Gloucestershire p. 617 online copy (large file)


  • Reece, R., 1974, 'The Knights Hospitaller at Quenington' Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society Vol. 93 p. 136-41 online copy
  • Reece, R., 1971, CBA Group 12 and Group 13 Archaeological Review p. 41
  • Westerling, M., 1937-40, Gloucestershire Countryside Vol. 3 p. 507
  • Clifford, E.M., 1961, 'Quenington, Gloucestershire' Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society Vol. 80 p. 93-8 online copy


  • Bissill, George William, c. 1940, Old Monastery Doorway, now the entrance to Quenington Court, Quenington (Watercolour Painting) V&A collection