Snittlegarth Moat
Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House
There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains
Name | Snittlegarth Moat |
Alternative Names | Torpenhow |
Historic Country | Cumberland |
Modern Authority | Cumbria |
1974 Authority | Cumbria |
Civil Parish | Bewaldeth And Snittlegarth |
Snittlegarth moated site survives reasonably well, its earthworks in particular remaining well preserved. It is a good example of a small homestead moat and will retain evidence for the building that originally occupied the island during the 14th century. Additionally the waterlogged parts of the moat will contain organic material.
The monument includes Snittlegarth medieval moated site. It is located on a small plateau on a gently sloping hillside c.500m south west of Snittlegarth Farm and includes an island surrounded by a moat which is boggy in places and which is flanked on its eastern side by an outer bank. The island measures c.25m by 12m and is raised up to 1m above the surrounding landsurface. Surrounding the island is a partly waterlogged moat 4m-5m wide and up to 1.5m deep. The moat is flanked on its eastern side by an outer bank measuring c.4.5m wide and up to 1m high. Documentary sources dated to 1367 state that Sir Robert de Tilliol granted land at Ireby 'except the site of the manor house within the water ditches' and thus indicate that the moated site was occupied during the mid-14th century. (Scheduling Report)
At Snittlegarth, which was next visited, is a very singular earthwork. On a plateau on a hill, well sheltered on three sides by rising ground, a rectangular area, eighty-eight feet by thirty-one feet has been isolated by trench with regular scarp and counter-scarp. This trench is twelve feet broad at bottom, twenty-three feet at top, and the scarp and counter-scarp each nine feet, while the depth is five feet. The Chancellor expressed his opinion that this earthwork was the remains of a homestead similar to that at Overwater, of which only the site of the lord's house remained, all traces of the mounds and trenches of the outer baily having been obliterated by repeated ploughings
(TCWAAS, 1900)
A "camp" is marked on the Ordnance Map near Snittlegarth : it is visible from the Caermot large camp, and is distant about a mile to the east. It is a most singular place. On a plateau on a hill, well sheltered on three sides by rising ground, and with a lovely view towards the south, a rectangular piece of ground, eighty-eight feet by thirty-one feet, has been isolated by a trench with regular scarp and counter-scarp. This trench is twelve feet broad at bottom, twenty-three feet at top, and the scarp and counter- scarp each nine feet, while the depth is five feet. The work is as fresh as if done yesterday. The profile is certainly Roman, but the spade revealed no pottery, and there is no trace of any entrance. (Ferguson)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
Not Listed
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid Reference | NY216374 |
Latitude | 54.7261810302734 |
Longitude | -3.21820998191834 |
Eastings | 321640 |
Northings | 537480 |