St Aubins Fort

Has been described as a Certain Artillery Fort

There are major building remains

NameSt Aubins Fort
Alternative NamesSt Aubyn; Islet of Sayntobyn
Historic CountryJersey
Modern AuthorityJersey
1974 AuthorityA
Civil ParishSt Helier

St Aubin's Fort is one of Jersey's most important fortifications. It has been remodelled and updated periodically over the past 400 years and demonstrates the development of military architecture from the Tudor period to German WWII defences.

St Aubin's Fort was begun as a gun tower in 1542 (the earliest surviving defence works in St Aubin's Bay), but was enlarged in the 1730s by adding a curtain wall with bastions and redans at the mid-points in the French manner. The tower was remodelled to form a keep; its internal structure now resembles that of a Martello and the machicoules are very similar to those on Conway towers, suggesting late 18th and early 19th century modifications. A later addition was the traversing platform with embrasure at the top of the tower, and a vaulted magazine in the ward below. The Pier was rebuilt between 1680-1700 and the wharf quay completed about 1800. During the German Occupation, various concrete anti aircraft and sea defences were constructed including a Strong Point near the North West Bastion. (State of Jersey HER)

Henry VIII artillery-tower on rocky islet; D-shaped, of one storey; built 1542. Later out-works, from the Civil War onwards. Surprised 1643; abandoned 1651. (King 1983)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid Reference
Latitude49.1843795776367
Longitude-2.16165995597839
Eastings0
Northings0
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright James Stringer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 2001, Castles and Old Churches of the Channel Islands (Malvern; Folly Publications) p. 52-3
  • Saunders, Andrew, 1997, Channel Defences (London; Batsford/English Heritage) p. 122
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 543

Antiquarian

Journals

  • Clark, Kate, 2008, Valuing the Heritage of the Channel Islands (Kate Clark Associates for Jersey Heritage) online copy

Guide Books

  • Jersey

Primary Sources

  • 1897, Actes des Etats de L'Ile de Jersey 1524-96 (Société Jersiaise 12) p. 13-14
  • 1926, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward VI (1550-53) Vol. 4 p. 125 online copy