Cae Llys, Rhosyr

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Other)

There are earthwork remains

NameCae Llys, Rhosyr
Alternative NamesLlys Rhosyr
Historic CountryAnglesey
Modern AuthorityAnglesey
1974 AuthorityGwynedd
CommunityRhosyr

Cae Llys, Rhosyr, is the site of a thirteenth century llys, a court of the princes of Gwynedd. Excavations from 1993 uncovered the remains of a complex of stone or stone founded, buildings, including an 11m by 17m hall. These were set within a stone walled rectangular enclosure about 85m east-west by 65m. The entrance faced east along the road to Newborough (below). The first reference to the court occurs in 1237 and the pottery and coins from the excavation mostly dated to the period between about 1247-1314. The court is thought to have gone out of use in the early fourteenth century. A new borough, Newborough, was founded on Rhosyr demsene in 1303 (NPRN 32992). There was already a market and fair associated with the court. Associated with: Church (NPRN 208) (Coflein–John Wiles 12.07.07)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSH419653
Latitude53.1619110107422
Longitude-4.36569976806641
Eastings241930
Northings365370
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Longley, David, 2009, 'Gwynedd Before and After the Conquest' in Willams, D. and Kenyon, J. (eds), The Impact of the Edwardian Castles in Wales (Oxbow) p. 16-26
  • RCAHMW, 1937, An inventory of the ancient monuments in Anglesey (HMSO) p. xxxviii online copy

Journals

  • Johnstone, Neil, 1999, 'Cae Lly, Rhosyr: A Court of the Princes of Gwynedd' Studia Celtica Vol. 33 p. 251-295
  • Nov 1996, 'Llys Rhosyr, Anglesey' Current Archaeology Vol. 150
  • Johnstone, Neil, Oct 1996, 'Welsh royal court found in sand' British Archaeology Vol. 18