Llanddewi Castle, Port Eynon

Has been described as a Questionable Masonry Castle, and also as a Questionable Palace (Bishop)

There are no visible remains

NameLlanddewi Castle, Port Eynon
Alternative Names
Historic CountryGlamorgan
Modern AuthoritySwansea
1974 AuthorityWest Glamorgan
CommunityPort Eynon

Thought to be a C16 and later house, two storied, with whitewashed stone walls and a modern roof (1956); the walls are generally 1.2m thick and shows stone mullioned window frames, some blocked. Thought to have been the site of a castle, demolished by 1639; an episcopal palace is recorded as having been built at Llanddewi, 1328-47, demolished 1362-89 because of a lack of water. OS County series (Glamorgan XXXI.1 1879) shows remains of an enclosure/structure, 12m by at least 25m N-S, immediately W of current house, with the legend 'Castle (remains of)': possible traces of this structure apparent on AP. (Coflein)

The present farmhouse, which is said to have been built on the site of LLanddewi castle, dates from the Tudor period, but recent repairs have obliterated ancient features. The castle had been demolished by 1639. The farmhouse is a two-storeyed building with whitewashed stone walls and a modern roof. The walls average 1.2m thick and contain the frames of stone mullioned Tudor windows, some of which are blocked in. No remains have been found of an earlier structure. (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Spurgeon writes a castle here seems most improbable.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSS459889
Latitude51.5787200927734
Longitude-4.22429990768433
Eastings245960
Northings188990
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses Vol. 2 (Cambridge) p. 641, 643, 644
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 183
  • RCAHMW, 1988, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan Vol. 4 Part 2: Farmhouse and Cottages (London: HMSO) p. 203 AL6
  • Hague, D.B., 1971, in Pugh, T.B. (ed), Glamorgan County History Vol. 3 The Middle Ages (Cardiff) p. 442
  • Owen, G. (Pritchard, E.M. (ed)), 1906, The Taylors Cussion (1552-1613) (London) p. 99-100
  • Clark, G.T., 1884, Mediaeval Military Architecture in England  (Wyman and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 114
  • Saxton, W., 1578, Map

Antiquarian

  • Merrick, R. (James, B.L. (ed)), 1983, Morganiae Archaiographia: A Book of the Antiquites of Glamorgan (Barry Island) p. 76, 116, 121 (originally published 1578)

Journals

  • Spurgeon, C.J. with Roberts, D.J. and Thomas, H.J., 1999, 'Supposed Castles in Glamorgan; A review' Archaeology in Wales Vol. 39 27-40
  • Clark, G.T., 1893, 'The signory of Gower (pt2)' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 48 p. 294 online copy

Other

  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via [http://ethos.bl.uk])