Old Radnor Church of St Stephen

Has been described as a Questionable Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are major building remains

NameOld Radnor Church of St Stephen
Alternative Names
Historic CountryRadnorshire
Modern AuthorityPowys
1974 AuthorityPowys
CommunityOld Radnor

St Stephen's church, Old Radnor has pre-Norman foundations, however, the present church predominantly dates from rebuilding throughout the 15th century after attacks by Owen Glendower in 1401/2 but it includes earlier fabric. Restoration was carried out in 1882 by F Preedy of Worcester. It is an aisled church with a porch and tower. The flat Tudor roofs with heraldic bosses survive. Important features include the unusual and massive pre-Norman font; the screen; and the organ case of c. 1500. St Catherine is depicted in a 15th century window glass in association with Edward IV's badges: the white rose en soleil and (in the apex) the black bull. The floor of the church has many medieval tiles. (Coflein–ref. CADW listed buildings database; Hughes)

Elevated position on W flank of Old Radnor Hill in largely circular churchyard. Pre-Norman foundation. Present church predominantly dates from rebuilding throughout the C15 after attacks by Owen Glendower in 1401/2 but includes earlier fabric. Restoration of 1882 by F Preedy of Worcester. One of the finest medieval churches in Wales. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

Harrison records this as a fortified church. The church tower has cross arrow loops in the merlons of the crenellated parapet, but this a not uncommon decorative feature and nothing else about the church suggests fortification.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO249590
Latitude52.2248611450195
Longitude-3.09981989860535
Eastings324986
Northings259092
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Ringer TimAll Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Hughes, T.J., 2006, Wales's Best One Hundred Churches
  • Harrison, Peter, 2004, Castles of God (Woodbridge; Boydell Press) p. 85
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of Mid Wales (Malvern) p. 71 (slight)
  • Salter, Mike, 1991,The Old Parish Churches of Mid Wales (Malvern)
  • Haslam, R.., 1979, Buildings of Wales: Powys (Yale University Press) p. 263-4
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy

Journals

  • Fenn, R.W.D and Sinclair, J.B., 1988. ‘Old Radnor Parish Church’ Transactions of the Radnorshire Society Vol. 58 p. 78-91 online copy