Aberedw Castle

Has been described as a Certain Masonry Castle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameAberedw Castle
Alternative Namescastle in Elvayl Huchmenyt
Historic CountryRadnorshire
Modern AuthorityPowys
1974 AuthorityPowys
CommunityAberedw

A crenelated mansion or castle, built by Walter Hackelutel in 1284-5 in the wake of the troubles of the later thirteenth century. It apparently replaced the castle mound on higher ground some 200m to the south-east (NPRN 305749). The castle is not recorded beyond the fourteenth century. The castle is a walled enclosure, some 39-41m square, with 6.0m diameter round towers at the angles. It stands above the Wye floodplain scarps on the west and has a 10-15m wide ditch on the remaining three sides with a counterscarp bank on the north. The entrance faced east where there is a causeway across the ditch. There are some slight traces of internal buildings. The eastern towers, at least, featured latrine shoots. The castle is greatly ruined. A dismantled railway runs along the foot of the river scarp. (Coflein)

Small rectangular masonry castle and associated defences (west side destroyed by railway) comprising remains of curtain wall with towers at north-east and south-east corners. Moat visible on north, south and east sides. Entrance remaining in east side. Most of W side has been destroyed by construction of railway, but inner face of curtain wall has been preserved in parts. E curtain wall stands to 1.9m in sections, but the ditch sides opposite are eroding. SE corner tower stood to a considerable height until recently when most of it collapsed witha fallen tree. Along N side curtain wall is well preserved in places, but NE corner tower is also falling away. Much broken stone in ditch on N. Possible enclosure bank on SW, but it is mostly obscured by a building. (Cadw 1985) The stone castle almost certainly dates from c1284 for Walter Hakelutel received a licence to crenellate by 1285 (Silvester, R J 1994b, 12). Survey carried out by CPAT for Cadw in 1994 identified the main components of the castle but highlighted their poor condition and the active erosion that is taking place (Jones, N & Frost, P 1994, 76-8; Jones, N W 1995b)

No significant change in condition since 1994, though some erosion possible. (Cadw 2000) (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust HER)

Gatehouse Comments

The supposed licence to crenellate in 1285 is, in fact, a grant for Walter Hackelutel, a knight of Edmund Mortimer, to hold the castle he had already begun needed because of changes of ownership. The Close Roll entry does say 'the king has pardoned Walter Hackelutel, in consideration of his grateful service to the king and of his costs and expenses in newly erecting a house in the Welsh marches and afterwards crenellating (kernelandam) it by the king's licence for the security of those parts, a debt of 57l.' but this is a court scribal style. No Patent Letter was granted. This is not the same as saying this house was not fortified, it clearly was, although the security to the kings rule in these parts may have come more from having a loyal armed knight in the area than from this small, but secure, courtyard castle.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO076473
Latitude52.1171493530273
Longitude-3.35034990310669
Eastings307640
Northings247390
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved
Photo by Philip Davis All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Davis, Paul, R., 2011, The Forgotten Castles of Wales (Almeley: Logaston Press) p. 71-74
  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 249 (listed)
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of Mid Wales (Malvern) p. 54
  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 181
  • Reid, Alan, 1998, Castles of Wales (John Jones Publishing) p. 25-6
  • Remfry, P., 1996, Castles of Radnorshire (Logaston Press) p. 146
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 406
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 322
  • RCAHMW, 1913, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Radnorshire (HMSO) p. 9-10 no. 28 online copy
  • Davies, Edwin (ed), William, Jonathan, 1905, A General History of the County of Radnor (reprinted from 1858, Archaeologia Cambrensis (ser3) Vol. 4) p. 315
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy

Journals

  • Jones, N.W., 1995. 'Aberedw Castle. Powys Earthwork Survey December 1994' CPAT report 119
  • Jones, N. and Frost, P., 1994. ‘Aberedw Castle’ Archaeology in Wales Vol. 34 p. 76-8
  • Pye, W.R., 1978, ‘Aberedw Castle’ Archaeology in Wales Vol. 18 p. 59
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1967, 'Masonry castles in Wales and the Marches: a list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 116 p. 71-132
  • Cole, E.J.L., 1951, 'Aberedw Castle' Transactions of the Radnorshire Society Vol. 21 p. 53-7 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1902, Calendar of Close Rolls Edward I (1279-1288) Vol. 2 p. 342 online copy
  • Lyte, H.C. Maxwell (ed), 1912, Calendar of various Chancery Rolls - Welsh Rolls 1277-1294 p. 295 online copy
  • 1963, Calendar of Inquistions Miscellaneous, Chancery Vol. 6 (1392-99) no. 228 (London: HMSO) (Thomas Beauchamp owner 24 Nov 1397)