West Tarr mediaeval house

Has been described as a Possible Bastle, and also as a Possible Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameWest Tarr mediaeval house
Alternative Names
Historic CountryPembrokeshire
Modern AuthorityPembrokeshire
1974 AuthorityDyfed
CommunityPenally

West Tarr is a vaulted first-floor hall and tower house, likened to Irish early modern towerhouses. Of uncertain date, it is a very small house with a vaulted roof and undercroft, although sections of this undercroft have been destroyed during alterations. Built of limestone rubble with a slate roof, the main room measures 4m x 3m. The original entrances are now blocked. The original fireplace was knocked through to create an external doorway during an unknown period of alteration. Portrayed as part of a group of structures on OS County series (1890). A similar structure stands at Carswell, 0.8km to the east (Nprn21716). (Coflein)

History: West Tarr is mentioned in a document of 1324 (representing a tenth of a knight's fee). The date of the house is unclear, but it is one of an important set of surviving Pembrokeshire mediaeval houses of small size. West Tarr alone has an upper vault. It lacks any defensive character. It has undergone alterations at an unknown date and an extended part of its undercroft vault has been destroyed. The house has been taken into the care of Cadw and its roof restored. Description: A very small house with a vaulted roof and a vaulted undercroft. Limestone rubble with selected larger stones at the corners. The main room is about 4 m long by 3 m wide, with a pointed roof vault about 4 m high. The slate covering of the roof was recently restored. The roof and undercroft vaults both run E/W, parallel to the slope in the ground into which the house is built. There were two original doorways to the main room, both now blocked. One was at the SW corner, and was reached by stairs (of which a fragment survives) from the level of the undercroft. The undercroft vault is of shallow segmental form, and originally extended further W than the limits of the main room above it. The other doorway was an external one at the SE corner, to which there must have been external stairs or a ladder. There was also a slit window in the E wall

There was an original fireplace in the S wall with a slight external projection. In later alterations the original fireplace was broken through to form a doorway leading directly to the high ground S of the house. The original E door was blocked and a new fireplace formed adjacent. A flue was formed in the wall thickness for it. A large window was inserted in the N wall. The extended part of the undercroft W of the main room was demolished. Wall footings, including a pair of bread ovens, extend to the N and probably represent later structures. (Listed Building Report)

the important freeholds at Tarr and Carswell were assessed in 1326 as one tenth of a knight’s fee each, held directly of the Earls of Pembroke, and each possesses a small ‘pele’ tower. (DAT 2001)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSN089008
Latitude51.6731605529785
Longitude-4.76503992080688
Eastings208920
Northings200800
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Davis, Paul, R., 2011, The Forgotten Castles of Wales (Almeley: Logaston Press) p. 61
  • Hull, Lise, 2005, Castles and Bishops Palaces of Pembrokeshire (Logaston Press) p. 217
  • Davis, Paul, 2000, A Company of Forts. A Guide to the Medieval Castles of West Wales (Gomer Press) p. 117
  • Jones, Francis, 1996, Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire (Brawdy Books)
  • Smith, P. 1988 (2edn), The Houses of the Welsh Countryside (RCAHMW) p. 23