Has been described as a Certain Masonry Castle
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Alternative Names||Arbeth; Norberd; Narbeth
The visible remains of the single ward Narberth Castle are thought to date from the mid-thirteenth century and later. They include a rectangular enclosure approximately 40m north to south by 20m with the ruins of two quarter-engaged drum towers and traces of a curtain wall with two semi-cirular bastions to the west of the enclosure. To the east is a vaulted cellar, the remains of a tower, and evidence of two garderobes. The castle is first mentioned in 1116 and was possibly occupied until the seventeenth century. It is described in a survey of 1539. (Coflein)
Situated on a scraped eminence overlooking the valley and river crossing on the southern approaches to the town.
Single-ward stone castle built soon after 1257 following destruction of Sentence Castle by Llywelyn ap Gruffydd. Burnt in 1299, but rebuilt. Granted to Sir Rhys ap Thomas in 1516. Reverted to the crown in 1531 following act of attainder on Sir Rhys ap Gruffydd, when said to be in state of decay. It was, however, inhabited as late as 1657.
Rectangular site. Half moon outwork covers S front. Ruins of 2 quarter-engaged drum towers with battered bases. SE tower (bakehouse and chapel tower), has aumbry to 1st storey former reveal; window opening to 2nd storey. SW tower survives to 3 storeys. (Larder with 2 chambers over) pointed arches to 2nd floor openings, broad internal splays to ground floor openings. At right angles to N, fragment of walling rises to 1st storey height (former kitchens with hall over). Cambered openings to ground floor - modern blocking. Traces of arched openings to 1st floor level. Corbels.
On W of enclosure tracers of curtain with 2 semicircular bastions, one with drain.
On E vaulted cellar with 3 openings, centre enlarged to form doorway. Original door to S end but with modern work. Section of wall over bear evidence of window to former great chamber. Also on E remains of tower with battered base below stringcourse
Evidence of 2 garderobes with chutes to angle with curtain. Flues to 1st and 2nd floors. (Buttery with 2 chambers over).
The site of the Great Tower with its forebuilding and adjoining gatehouse lie obscured at N end of site. (Listed Building Report)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law
Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SN109144