Milford Haven West Blockhouse

Has been described as a Certain Artillery Fort

There are no visible remains

NameMilford Haven West Blockhouse
Alternative Names
Historic CountryPembrokeshire
Modern AuthorityPembrokeshire
1974 AuthorityDyfed
CommunityDale

Henry VIII established two stone blockhouses with guns to flank the entrance to the Milford Haven Waterway (NPRN 407932). The Tudor West Blockhouse has been destroyed, but there is a replacement nineteenth- century fort (Coflein)

Gatehouse Comments

Vanished under the C19 grade II-star West Blockhouse Fort. Twin to East Blockhouse of which there are slight remains. Sometimes said to have been circular but Gatehouse is uncertain if this is based on actual evidence/historical description or on the assumption it took the same general form of the surviving south coast forts (i.e. Deal) If the later then this is suspect since it seems the smaller 'blockhouses' were not round.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSM818036
Latitude51.6883010864258
Longitude-5.15789985656738
Eastings181800
Northings203600
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 178
  • Salter, Mike, 1996, The Castles of South West Wales (Malvern) p. 86 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 398
  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1982, The history of the King's Works Vol. 4: 1485-1660 (part 2) p. 482-3
  • RCAHMW, 1925, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Pembrokeshire (HMSO) p. 10 (mention only) online copy
  • Owen, Henry (ed), 1897, The Description of Pembrokeshire (Society of Cymmrodorion) Vol. 2 p. 547

Journals

  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1967, 'Masonry castles in Wales and the Marches: a list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 116 p. 71-132

Primary Sources

  • Gairdner, J. (ed), 1890, Letters and papers, foreign and domestic, of the reign of Henry VIII Vol. 14 Part 1 p. 152, 330 online copy