Eastington Manor House

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Manor House, and also as a Certain Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameEastington Manor House
Alternative NamesJestynton; Rhoscrowther; Keeston; Iseston; Tre-Jestyn
Historic CountryPembrokeshire
Modern AuthorityPembrokeshire
1974 AuthorityDyfed
CommunityHundleton

A small ruined manor-house of the peel tower type, probably of 15th-century date, standing about 500 yards north-west of the parish church, illustrated and described in detail in Arch. Camb. for 1868 (III, xiv, 79). Although its main features are easily followed, the intervening 60 years have obliterated much. The building, which is now used for farm purposes, has a plain vaulted undercroft, with two apartments above to which access is gained by an exterior flight of steps. From the larger of the two rooms a short newel stairway leads to the summit of a low lantern or beacon tower. Around the roof runs a corbel table and parapet. The windows have been modernised. Certain " geometrical patterns," which are said to have been in the concrete or plaster floor (Journal, British Archaeological Assoc., xli, 82), have disappeared since 1885. The building should be compared with Carswell (No. 846) in the parish of Penally. (RCAHMW, 1925)

15th century, probably. Small ruined house. Peel type. 2 storey. Battlemented. Vaulted undercroft. Short newel stair. The site of ornamental gardens, or a park is indicated by a ha-ha, with remains of a gateway across it to the S of the house. A tower house of rubble stone. Vaulted ground floor and first floor hall reached by added W side outside stairs. Narrower and possibly later rear wing. C20 roofs and some minor repairs to stonework but for the most part unrestored. (Coflein)

Situated some 0.75 km NW of Rhoscrowther Church and close to Texaco Oil Refinery. Medieval tower house of C14 to early C15 date. Tower house: Rubble stone, embattled, with vaulted ground floor and first-floor hall reached by added W side outside stairs. A narrower, possibly slightly later, rear wing has vaulted room on each floor and an embattled turret which crowns the stair in the re-entrant NW angle, leading from first floor to the wall walk behind the battlements

S front has corbelled embattled parapet, one first-floor later window and ground-floor (later) broad opening. Shallow angle buttresses. C20 lightweight roofs, and some repairs to stonework, otherwise unrestored. Marks of a lost SW gabled building, possibly indicating an earlier hall range. The original entry to the tower was from the W where a pointed arched doorway survives between the gable and the outside stairs. The stairs may have been originally in timber with an upper porch for which sockets remain. One blocked narrow lancet to first floor left and one blocked N end 2-light trefoil-headed opening part-blocked by rear wing. History: C15 house belonged to Perrot family. William Meares of Eastington (d 1768) is commemorated in the church and there is said to have been a large house of the Meare family adjoining the Tower. This house was occupied by the Leach family in later C18 but mostly demolished by 1868, of which the present house may be the outbuildings. (Listed Building Description)

Salter writes C13 semi fortified solar block of manor house. King writes long low tower, probably C15. Davis write C14. May have formed part of a large structure.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSM901025
Latitude51.6819801330566
Longitude-5.03751993179321
Eastings190120
Northings202510
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Davis, Paul, R., 2011, The Forgotten Castles of Wales (Almeley: Logaston Press) p. 63, 64-66
  • Hull, Lise, 2005, Castles and Bishops Palaces of Pembrokeshire (Logaston Press) p. 89-90
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses Vol. 2 (Cambridge) p. 682
  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 160-1
  • Davis, Paul, 2000, A Company of Forts. A Guide to the Medieval Castles of West Wales (Gomer Press) p. 117-8 (reconstruction)
  • Salter, Mike, 1996, The Castles of South West Wales (Malvern) p. 57
  • Jones, Francis, 1996, Historic Houses of Pembrokeshire (Brawdy Books)
  • Smith, P. 1988 (2edn), The Houses of the Welsh Countryside (RCAHMW) p.22-3, 30-1
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 399
  • Smith, 1975, Houses of the Welsh Countryside (HMSO) p. 22-3, 30-1
  • Stickings, T.G., 1973, Castles and Strongholds of Pembrokeshire (Tenby) p. 98-9
  • Rees, Wm, 1932, Map of South Wales and the Border in the 14th century (Ordnance Survey) (A handbook to the map was published in 1933)
  • RCAHMW, 1925, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Pembrokeshire (HMSO) p. 306 no. 887 online copy

Journals

  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1967, 'Masonry castles in Wales and the Marches: a list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 116 p. 71-132
  • King, D.J.C., 1962, 'The Castles of Pembrokeshire' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 119 p. 313-6 online copy
  • Barnwell, E.L., 1868, 'Domestic Architecture of South Pembrokeshire' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 23 p. 79-80 online copy