Llangadfan Motte

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameLlangadfan Motte
Alternative NamesCann Office Hotel
Historic CountryMontgomeryshire
Modern AuthorityPowys
1974 AuthorityPowys
CommunityBanwy

A mound, the SE half of which has been levelled, 4.0m high and perhaps originally 24m in diameter. "Bronze instruments" are said to have come from the levelled part of the mound. To the S an angle of scarping (at SJ01181067) may, if not a product of garden landscaping, indicate an enclosure c.54m by 46m. Three sides of a rectilinear enclosure, 47m by at least 35m, ditched at the E angle, defined elsewhere by scarps. Trenching in 1962 produced med. pottery. Very damaged by developement. (Coflein)

Motte some 4m high formerly surrounded by a ditch (see RCAHM, 1911) with poss bailey to S (see Spurgeon, C.J., 1966e) though this is now completely obscured by modern development (see OS, 1973). Much of the motte removed to accommodate hotel buildings and top levelled as base for two water tanks (see os, 1973). Surface finds made CPAT visit 1978 (CPAT site visit, 1978). whole poss associated with apparent medieval earthwork to east par 6094. (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust HER)

The business-like Cann Office name is actually derived from 'Cae'n y ffos', meaning fortified or ditched enclosure. (Laurence Main, 1989)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSJ011107
Latitude52.6852798461914
Longitude-3.46327996253967
Eastings301180
Northings310730
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 244 (listed)
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of Mid Wales (Malvern) p. 41
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 298
  • RCAHMW, 1911, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Montgomeryshire (HMSO) p. 99 no. 507 online copy
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy

Journals

  • Jones, G.D.B. and Putnam, W.J., 1966. ‘Earthwork at Cann Office’ Montgomeryshire Collections Vol. 59 p. 155-8 online copy
  • Spurgeon, C.J., 1966, ‘The castles of Montgomeryshire’ Montgomeryshire Collections Vol. 59 p. 8 online copy
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124
  • O'Neil, B.H. St J., 1932, 'Cann office : Its history and archaeology' Montgomeryshire Collections Vol. 42 p. 126-31 (plan) online copy
  • Edwards, 1869, Montgomeryshire Collections Vol. 2 p. 326-7 (highly conjectual plan)

Other

  • Silvester, R.J., 1992, Montgomeryshire Historic Settlements (CPAT report)