Penmark Castle

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Other/Unknown), and also as a Certain Masonry Castle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NamePenmark Castle
Alternative NamesPenmarc
Historic CountryGlamorgan
Modern AuthorityVale of Glamorgan
1974 AuthoritySouth Glamorgan
CommunityRhoose

The remains of Penmark Castle consist of two enclosures resting on natural scarps on the north and east. A sub-oval inner enclosure, c.58m east to west by 40m, is defined by the remains of a stone curtain, with one tower and indications of a second. Within are traces of buildings, with a ruined barn of c.1770. The sub-rectanular outer enclosure on the west is around 50m east to west by 60m. It is defined by a bank and ditch on the west and rests on the churchyard on the south (see NPRN 301269). There are remains of a c.6.0m diameter dove cote at the north-west angle. The castle thought to be early twelfth century in origin, but is first mentioned in documents in 1307. It is recorded as ruinous by 1622. (Coflein–ref. RCAHMW, 2000)

Remains of C13 wall 1m thick around a court 65m long by 47m wide with a more thinly walled C16 outer court to the west. The moat has been filled in but there are extensive footings on the east side of the court and on the west side are overgrown ruins of a tower 7m in diameter with a rectangular latrine turret to the south and various other structures. Gilbert de Umfraville had a timber castle on this site in C12. In the time of Edward II Oliver de St John obtained the castle when he married Elizabeth Umfraville, the young heiress. (Salter, 1991)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceST058689
Latitude51.4112281799316
Longitude-3.35508990287781
Eastings305890
Northings168900
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Davis, Paul, R., 2011, The Forgotten Castles of Wales (Almeley: Logaston Press) p. 101-108
  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 240 (listed)
  • < >RCAHMW, 2000, An Inventory of Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan Vol. 3 Part 1b: The Later Castles (London: HMSO) < > p. 279-285
  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 104
  • Reid, Alan, 1998, Castles of Wales (John Jones Publishing) p. 118
  • Salter, Mike, 1991, The Castles of Gwent, Glamorgan and Gower (Malvern) p. 61
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1
  • Davis, Paul R., 1983, Castles of Glamorgan (Alun Books) p. 40
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 373
  • Hague, D.B., 1971, in Pugh, T.B. (ed), Glamorgan County History Vol. 3 The Middle Ages (Cardiff) p. 445
  • Clark, G.T., 1884, Mediaeval Military Architecture in England  (Wyman and Sons) Vol. 2 p. 351-3 (reprint of 1861 article) online copy
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy
  • Homfray, Jeston, 1828, The Castles of the Lordship of Glamorgan (Cardiff) p. 31 and plate

Journals

  • Spurgeon, C.J., 1983, ‘Penmark Castle’ 130th annual meeting, Vale of Glamorgan, 1983: programme, CAA p. 16–17
  • Spurgeon, C.J. and Thomas, H.J.,1980, 'Penmark Castle', Archaeology in Wales Vol. 20 p. 77
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1967, 'Masonry castles in Wales and the Marches: a list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 116 p. 71-132
  • King, D.J.C. and Alcock, L., 1969, 'Ringworks in England and Wales' Château Gaillard Vol. 3 p. 90-127
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124 (possible–Plan suggests some kind of earthwork castle)
  • Clark, G.T., 1861, 'Some Account of the Parish of Penmark' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 16 p. 9-11 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Clark, G.T., 1910, Cartae et alia munimenta quae ad dominium de Glamorgancia pertinent Vol. 6 p. 2381