East Orchard Castle
Has been described as a Rejected Fortified Manor House
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Name||East Orchard Castle
|Alternative Names||Norchete Manor
|Modern Authority||Vale of Glamorgan
|1974 Authority||South Glamorgan
Manorial complex, loosely disposed out two courts over an area, c.75m square. The principal range comprises a hall with 2/3 storey ranges at either end, there are remains also of a kitchen, large barn and other structures, including: chapel (Nprn307687), barn (Nprn37528), dovecote (Nprn37529). The main fabric is thought to be 14th c. with later additions, the house being dismantled from 1756. (Coflein)
On the eastern boundary of the Community and about 1100m east of the Church of St Athan. It stands on the low cliff on the west side of the River Thaw and is approached via the lands of Rock Farm.
Built for domestic use, and probably a hall for the East Orchard retainers but later converted to a barn It is one of the two most complete survivals of the East Orchard great house (see also Dovecote) owned by the Stradlings of St. Donat's Castle from 1411-1756 and was probably built by them in the early C16. The new owners, the Jones of Fonmon Castle (qv Rhoose Community) allowed East Orchard to fall into ruin, but a later owner re-roofed this building as a barn in the C19. It is shown as being in use on the Tithe Map of 1839, but has, however, been disused for many years.
There is no evidence of internal divisions or of a fireplace. C19 seven bay queen strut roof with iron reinforcement on the struts.
Built of coursed, roughly squared local lias limestone rubble pierced by putlog holes, battered base to the walls, corrugated asbestos sheet roof. Long rectangular single storey range aligned north-south which divided the upper and lower courtyards of East Orchard. Opposed doorways of which the east one survives intact. This has a pointed head of chamfered dressings, but the jambs are square and unchamfered. To the north of the doorway is a small square window with another in the north gable and one above it which is recorded in 1869 as having a trefoil head with dressed quoins and openings. Slit vent in the south gable
(Listed Building Report)
Medieval manorial complex including a hall, free-standing chapel, and various farm buildings. Collapse of a partition wall showed surviving later gypsum floor and underlying debris in section. The sealed debris yielded a large crested ridge tile fragment, green window-glass fragments, an ornamented bronze buckle, iron scissors and a few medieval potsherds. (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||ST028680