Doghill, Dyffryn

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop), and also as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are masonry footings remains

NameDoghill, Dyffryn
Alternative NamesWorleton; Dog Hill
Historic CountryGlamorgan
Modern AuthorityVale of Glamorgan
1974 AuthoritySouth Glamorgan
CommunitySt Nicholas And Bonvilston

A near-square moated raised platform, 31.5-33m across, 46-48m overall, the moat having been embanked on the N and W side, and fed by a leat (reported as destroyed 1978) at the SW angle, stone abutment for bridge. Worleton was a possible seat of the Bishop of Llandaff in 1332. (Coflein)

Gatehouse Comments

Doghill is interpreted as a corruption of the name de Horguill. The Mitdehorguill family were subtenants of the Corbets in the area from C12 and probably held Coed-y-Cwm as their caput.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceST092719
Latitude51.4393310546875
Longitude-3.30679988861084
Eastings309260
Northings171950
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 112
  • Salter, Mike, 1991, The Castles of Gwent, Glamorgan and Gower (Malvern) p. 75 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 173
  • RCAHMW, 1982, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan Vol. 3 Part 2: Secular Non-defensive Monuments (London: HMSO) MS9 p. 104-7

Journals

  • Spurgeon, C.J. and Thomas, H.J., 1978, 'Medieval Glamorgan' Morgannwg Vol. 22 p. 33 online copy