Coity Castle

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Ringwork), and also as a Certain Masonry Castle

There are major building remains

NameCoity Castle
Alternative NamesCoyty; Coety
Historic CountryGlamorgan
Modern AuthorityBridgend
1974 AuthorityMid Glamorgan
CommunityCoity Higher

Prominently sited above Heol West Plas, Coity Castle was founded in the early twelfth century and was granted to the Norman family of Turberville. By the end of the twelfth century the original timber defences were largely replaced by stone. Further defensive improvements were carried out following damages caused by the Welsh uprising of 1404-1405: a new west gate was built to the outer ward, the south tower was converted into a gatehouse and a link wall was built between the inner and outer ward curtain walls. Also the ditch between inner and outer wards was infilled and a north east gatehouse was added to the inner ward, facing St Mary's Church. By the mid eighteenth century Coity Castle was largely in ruins. The remains consist of a circular inner ward, with three storey keep on the north west side and a fourteenth century domestic block to the south side. To the north east of this block is the chapel, the interior of which only survives at basement level. There is a well to in the inner ward, along with some stone paving. The inner ward is enclosed on the north, east and south sides by a ditch with a faceted curtain wall, on the west side of which is an outer ward with curtain wall. The high outer ward curtain wall features a fifteenth century gatehouse to the west, which is now the main entrance. (Coflein)

Located immediately SW of Coity Church and prominently sited above Heol West Plas.

Founded early C12 as caput of lordship of Coity, granted to the Norman family of Turberville. The original timber defences were inside a circular ditch and were largely replaced in stone late C12. The keep and curtain wall, as well as the deepening of the ditch, belong to this period, during which time a bailey to W retained its timber defences. The keep was enlarged and a new domestic range was added C14. At the same time the bailey was converted to an outer ward with stone defences

It had a bank and ditch to the N, the main entrance to the W, and S, SW and NE towers. During this time the original ringwork remained open, but with a link wall to N between inner and outer wards. The defences were repaired and strengthened early C15 for one of the Gamages, who inherited the castle in 1411, after damage caused during the Welsh uprising of 1404-5. To the outer ward a new W gatehouse was built, the S tower was converted to a gatehouse and a link wall was added between the outer ward and inner ward curtain walls. Inside the outer ward a large barn was erected. The ditch between inner and outer wards was infilled. To the inner ward a NE gatehouse was added facing the church. Improvements were made in the later C15 or C16 to the domestic arrangements, when the defensive requirement had receded. From 1584 to the early C18, when it was still partly inhabited, it was owned by the Sydney family, but it was largely in ruins by mid C18.

Ruined medieval castle consisting of a circular inner ward enclosed on N, E and S sides by a ditch and with a faceted curtain wall, on the W side of which is an outer ward with curtain wall, which is roughly rectangular in plan and has a bank and ditch on its N side. Of rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings. The inner ward curtain wall rises mostly to parapet level. The keep is on the NW side, its W wall standing almost full height, in which fragments of C15 openings can be seen, as well as corbels at eaves level. It is of 3 storeys with undercroft. In the centre are two C14 octagonal piers superimposed one above the other, with the springers of rib vaults: the undercroft ribs are heavy and plain; the lower storey vault has evidence of chamfered ribs. Contemporary with this phase of the keep was a new W gatehouse, attached to the S side of the keep at an oblique angle. Its guardroom does not survive to any considerable height. On the N side of the keep is a 3-storey annexe, of which the N wall survives full height and stands beyond the line of the former curtain wall. The N front is 2-window, although the openings are poorly preserved. In the upper storey are a Tudor fireplace and the corbels which carried the principals. Traces of lime plaster can be seen on the inner faces. On the S side of the inner ward is the C14 domestic block consisting of hall, passage, garderobe tower and kitchen range. On the inner (N) side is a dog-leg passage of 4 bays with the springers of chamfered rib vaults. In the 2 easternmost bays are openings: on the R is a vaulted passage to the curtain wall of unknown purpose; to L is a newel stair to the hall. The hall is S of the passage and is attached to the earlier curtain wall. The hall undercroft survives substantially. It is of 3x 2 bays with the footings of 2 central piers and the springers for rib vaults surviving. In the curtain wall 3 lancets with deeply splayed sills were cut in at undercroft level, the central of which is cusped. In the hall itself is a fireplace in the E wall. In the exterior S wall, the hall is 2-storey height with corbel table and has 3 windows in the lower storey (blocked to L, with Tudor hood mould to R). At the upper level the window to L is blocked by inserted C15 fireplace, when a first floor was added to the hall. The fireplace has a tall stack, which partly encroaches on an arrow loop in the exterior face of the parapet, and has string courses and a moulded cap. A similar tall stack rises above the vaulted passage on the N side. SE of the hall is the C14 garderobe tower, built outside the line of the curtain wall above the ditch. The tower is roughly oval in plan, with a corbel table on E and W sides above cesspit level, where the tower has straight side walls. The 2 upper levels have ruinous openings and garderobes. The tower is reached by stone steps from the hall undercroft. On the W side of the S domestic block is a kitchen range principally C15 in its details. It is of 2 storeys with undercroft. In the upper storey it has 3 windows (of which L and central have square heads), in the lower are 2 windows (square-headed to L and with traces of arched-headed lights). In the undercroft is the base of a circular malting kiln with radiating flues. The chapel is on the NE side of the S domestic range and is entered from the dog-leg passage. It has a narrow, ruinous C15 E window (probably originally of 2 lights), above which is the line of the gable. The line of an earlier, lower gable of C14 is also visible. The interior of the chapel survives only at basement level, in which there are 2 low cross walls butting the side walls. The C15 NE gatehouse is 3-storey and projects beyond the curtain wall. It has a doorway under a 2-centred arch with square hood mould. Above is a 2-light mullioned window, and in the upper storey is a larger window, above which are 2 moulded corbels. The side walls have plainer corbel tables. The rear elevation has plainer openings. The inner ward has some stone paving and a well. On the N side are the footings of a large rectangular building of unknown date, possibly a late medieval hall replacing the earlier C14 hall. The outer ward curtain wall stands to a considerable height. The W gatehouse was added C15 and is now the main entrance. Only part of the inner arch survives, as on the S side the building does not survive above the footings. The SW tower has two arrow loops in its outer wall but now has a lean-to slate roof. Immediately E of it is a doorway in the curtain wall with 2-centred arch. Only the footings of the NE towerand S gatehouse survive. Beyond S gatehouse is a single-arched bridge over the ditch. The link wall between S gatehouse and inner ward is C15, has eightarrow loops and remains of a storeyed projection at the angle with the inner curtain wall. On the S side of the outer ward, and built against the curtain wall, are the footings of a 7-bay barn with battered buttresses and centrally-placed porch. Corresponding buttresses are extant added to the exterior of the curtain wall. (Listed Building Report)

Castle in five periods, consisting of two wards, the inner (with keep) adapted from an earlier ringwork, the outer probably replacing a bailey contemporary with the ringwork. Period 1 ( c110) palisaded castle-ringwork, probbaly with bailey: Period 2 (late 12th century) keep, over half of the curtain wwall of the inner ward: Period 3 (14th century) in inner ward - middle gate, rebuild of keep (with projecting round tower), domestic block; outer ward - west gate, walls and towers: Period 4 (15th century) improvements to defences, including rebuild after substantial breaches, inner ward - NE gatehouse, chapel (in two phases), southern cross wall; outer ward - barn, conversion of south tower into gatehouse, replacement of southwest tower by postern, turret built over infilled west ditch, west gatehouse built: Period 5 (Tudor) improvements to domestic arrangements, all in inner ward (RCAHMW 1991, 218-58 MR1) (Glamorgan-Gwent Archaeological Trust HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Although originally established soon after 1100, much of the castle dates from C14 and later. Parts were rebuilt following the siege by Owain Glyn Dwr in 1404-5. Sub-circular ditched enclosure, c.36-42m in diameter, with sub-rectangular enclosure, c.55m E-W by 36m, attached on the W, both are defined by ruins of towered curtain walls, with extensive remains of internal buildings.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic Wales CADW listed database record number
The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSS923814
Latitude51.5220184326172
Longitude-3.55316996574402
Eastings292300
Northings181490
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Philip Blayney All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Kenyon, John, 2010, The Medieval Castles of Wales (University of Wales Press) p. 118-121
  • Purton, P.F., 2010, A History of the Late Medieval Siege: 1200-1500 (Woodbridge: The Boydell Press) p. 220
  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 141-3
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses Vol. 2 (Cambridge) p. 623
  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 93-4
  • Reid, Alan, 1998, Castles of Wales (John Jones Publishing) p. 65-6
  • Newman, J., 1995, Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan (Yale University Press) p. 325-8
  • < >RCAHMW, 1991, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Glamorgan Vol. 3 Part 1a: The Early Castles (London: HMSO) < > MR1 p. 218-58
  • Salter, Mike, 1991, The Castles of Gwent, Glamorgan and Gower (Malvern) p. 47-48
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 163
  • Davis, Paul R., 1983, Castles of Glamorgan (Alun Books) p. 31
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 341-2
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 151
  • Bevan T., 1961, 'Coity Castle: a stronghold of the Vale' in Williams S (ed), The Garden of Wales (Cowbridge) p. 35-46
  • Toy, Sidney, 1953, The Castles of Great Britain (Heinemann) p. 141-2
  • Oman, Charles W.C., 1926, Castles (1978 edn Beetham House: New York) p. 180-1
  • Randall, Henry John, 1961, The Vale of Glamorgan, Studies in Landscape and History (Newport: R.H.Johns Ltd) p. 78-9
  • Clark, G.T., 1884, Mediaeval Military Architecture in England  (Wyman and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 487-91 (abridged 1877 article) online copy
  • Timbs, J. and Gunn, A., 1872, Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales Vol. 3 (London) p. 465-6 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 381 online copy
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy
  • Homfray, Jeston, 1828, The Castles of the Lordship of Glamorgan (Cardiff) p. 27 and plate
  • Buck, Samuel and Nathenial, 1774, Buck’s Antiquities (London) Vol. 2 p. 398
  • Grose, Francis, 1785, The Antiquities of England and Wales (London) Vol. 7 p. 48-50 online copy
  • Griffiths, R.A., n.d., Owain Glyndwr and the siege of Coety castle 1404-1405 (Coity Village Association)
  • Pearce, D.J., n.d., A history of Coety Castle, its occupants and families (Coity Village Association)

Antiquarian

  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1906, Leland's Itinerary in Wales  (Bell and Sons; London) p. 33 online copy

Journals

  • Griffiths, Ralph A., 2001, 'Owain Glyndwr and the Siege of Coity Castle' Morgannwg Vol. 45
  • Morgan, R., 2000, 'Coity Castles's (sic) curious cross loops' Postern Vol. 12 p. 407
  • Spurgeon, Jack, 1987, 'The Castles of Glamorgan' Château Gaillard Vol. 13 p. 212-3
  • Spurgeon, C.J., 1983, ‘Coity Castle’ 130th annual meeting, Vale of Glamorgan, 1983: programme, CAA p. 18–19
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1967, 'Masonry castles in Wales and the Marches: a list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 116 p. 71-132
  • King, D.J.C. and Alcock, L., 1969, 'Ringworks in England and Wales' Château Gaillard Vol. 3 p. 90-127
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124
  • Fox, Cyril, 1928, Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 83 p. 385-6
  • Clark, G.T., 1877, 'Coyty Castle and Lordship' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 32 p. 1-10 online copy

Guide Books

  • Kenyon, John R. and Spurgeon, Jack, 2001, Coity Castle, Ogmore Castle, Newcastle (Cardiff: CADW)
  • Radford, C.A.Ralegh, 1946, Coity Castle (HMSO)

Primary Sources

  • Clark, G.T., 1910, Cartae et alia munimenta quae ad dominium de Glamorgancia pertinent Vol. 4 p. 1455, 1457 online copy ; Vol. 6 2306 [online copy > http://archive.org/stream/cartaeetaliamuni06claruoft#page/2306/mode/1up]
  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1905, Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry IV (1401-05) Vol. 2 p. 470, 475 online copy
  • Stamp, A.E. (ed), 1929, Calendar of Close Rolls Henry IV (1402-1405) Vol. 2 p. 478 view online copy (subscription required)
  • Stamp, A.E. (ed), 1932, Calendar of Close Rolls Henry IV (1409-1413) Vol. 4 p. 407 view online copy (subscription required)
  • Rickard, John, 2002, The Castle Community. The Personnel of English and Welsh Castles, 1272-1422 (Boydell Press) (lists sources for 1272-1422) p. 205-6