Tyddyn Mount

Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameTyddyn Mount
Alternative NamesMold Rural; Tyddin
Historic CountryFlintshire
Modern AuthorityFlintshire
1974 AuthorityClwyd
CommunityMynydd Isa

A fine mound in the garden of Tyddyn farm in the township of Bistre. Its summit is nearly circular, with a diameter of between 9 and 10 yards; in height it is about 25 feet. On the north-east a ditch and low outer bank can be traced, but they are obliterated on two other sides by the drive to the house, and on the fourth side by the croquet lawn, to extend which the mound itself has been partially cut away. The meadow between the house and the road, called 'The Mount Meadow’, shows on the south side some irregularities of surface, and is much higher than the road whereon it abuts ; it probably represents the enclosure. The large field on the north-west is called in the Tithe Schedule (No. 1191) 'Erw Mount’, but it is not now known or remembered by that name. (RCAHMW)

Circular motte measuring 38m in diameter and 6.6m high with a flat top 8m across; traces of ditch on N side. (Coflein)

Motte diam 26.4m base, 7m at flat top, height is 6m. surrounding ditch only visible on N side, no bailey visible damaged by garden on the east and dogs grave on top. Trees planted on motte. Considered by Spurgeon as originally having a bailey (Manley, J, Grenter, S & Gale, F, 1991). (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust HER)

The monument comprises the remains of a motte and ditch, dating to the medieval period (c. 1066 -1540 AD). A motte is a large conical or pyramidal mound of soil and/or stone, usually surrounded by either a wet or dry ditch, and surmounted by a tower constructed of timber or stone. Tyddyn motte stands to a height of 20ft and is tree covered. The drive to the house follows the line of the ditch around the west side and the edge of the ditch is visible in the field to the west. The ground falls away to thenorth west and west so the bailey was probably on the site of the present house, to the south east, but there is no sign of any banks (Scheduling Report)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSJ252632
Latitude53.1614303588867
Longitude-3.11892008781433
Eastings325270
Northings363280
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Tyddyn Motte 1200 1

View full Sized Image
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Tyddyn Motte 1200 2

View full Sized Image

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 238 (listed)
  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 80
  • Salter, Mike, 1997, The Castles of North Wales (Malvern) p. 87 (slight)
  • Manley, J., Grenter, S. and Gale, F., 1991, The Archaeology of Clwyd
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 154
  • RCAHMW, 1912, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Flintshire (HMSO) p. 60 no. 177 online copy

Journals

  • Swallow, Rachel, 2016, 'Cheshire Castles of the Irish Sea Cultural Zone' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 173.2 p. 288-341
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124