Mold; The Bailey Hill

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Certain Masonry Castle

There are earthwork remains

NameMold; The Bailey Hill
Alternative NamesMontalt; Mohaut; Monhalt; Mouhaut; Montalto; Gwyddgrug; Guiddgrug; Yr Wyddgrug; Wydrug; Wyrebruch
Historic CountryFlintshire
Modern AuthorityFlintshire
1974 AuthorityClwyd

Mold Castle is first mentioned in 1146 and is an earthwork castle, set upon and formed from a natural hillock. On the N is a motte, c.57-62m in diameter and 10-14m high with a c.20m diameter summit upon which traces of masonry have been noted. To the S are two rectilinear enclosures, defined by c.10m scarps, c.64m N-S by 52m and c.32m NNE-SSW by 30m, respectively. A counterscarp survives only on the NW. Used as a recreation garden since 1792, site altered by construction of a bowling green, tennis courts and a Gorsedd circle. (Coflein)

Motte and bailey castle with inner and outer bailey to south of motte. Built by Robert de Montalt. Already existed in 1147. Possibly had shell keep. Now badly damaged by use as public park. (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust HER)

Gatehouse Comments

Mentioned often between 1167 and 1244. However in Masonry Castle Hogg and King write C13 references to Gwyddgrug (Wydrug; Wyrebruch) refer to Nantcribba SJ237014.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

The National Monument Record (Coflein) number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSJ235643
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Eirian Evans and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.
Copyright Eirian Evans and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.
Copyright Eirian Evans and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print


  • Morgan, Gerald, 2008, Castles in Wales: A Handbook (Talybont: Y Lolfa Cyf.) p. 238 (listed)
  • Pettifer, Adrian, 2000, Welsh Castles, A Guide by Counties (Boydell Press) p. 76
  • Salter, Mike, 1997, The Castles of North Wales (Malvern) p. 76
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 154, Vol. 2 p. 563
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 365
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 247
  • Neaverson, E., 1947, Mediaeval Castles in North Wales: A study of Sites, Water Supply, and Building Stones (London) p. 18
  • Armitage, Ella, 1912, The Early Norman Castles of the British Isles (London: John Murray) p. 260 online copy
  • RCAHMW, 1912, An inventory of the Ancient Monuments of Flintshire (HMSO) p. 63 no. 190 online copy
  • Timbs, J. and Gunn, A., 1872, Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales Vol. 3 (London) p. 417 online copy
  • Lewis, Samual, 1849, A Topographical Dictionary of Wales online copy



  • Silvester, B. and Jones, N., 2012, ‘Bailey Hill, Mold’ Archaeology in Wales Vol. 51 p. 201- 02
  • Kenyon, John R., 1996, 'Fluctuating Frontiers: Normanno-Welsh Castle Warfare c. 1075 to 1240' Château Gaillard Vol. 17 p. 119-126
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1967, 'Masonry castles in Wales and the Marches: a list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 116 p. 71-132 (survived into C13 without being rebuilt in stone)
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124
  • 1921, Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 76 p. 352-3
  • Clark, G.T., 1889, 'Contribution towards a complete list of moated mounds or burhs' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 46 p. 197-217 esp. 201, 217 online copy
  • Maxwell, 1843, Trans. Cymmrodorion_Vol. 2.4 p. 375-9

Primary Sources

  • The Great Roll of the Pipe for the fourteenth year of the reign of King Henry II A.D. 1167-1168 (Pipe Roll Society 12)
  • Christie, R.C. (ed), 1887, Annales Cestrienses: Chronicle of the Abbey of S. Werburg, at Chester 1198, 1218, 1241, 1245 [online copy >
  • 1906, Calendar of Patent Rolls Henry III (1232-47) Vol. 3 p. 269, 288, 426, 442 online copy
  • Brut y Tywysogion 1146 (Several transcriptions and translations exist the best being Jones, T., 1952, Brut Y Twysogion (University of Wales, History and Law series 11)–based on the Peniarth MS 20 version. There is a flawed translation Williams ab Ithel, John, 1860, Brut Y Twysogion or The Chronicle of the Princes (Rolls Series) online copy and Owen, Aneurin (ed), 1864, 'Brut y Tywysogion' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 19 supplement p. 116-7 [online copy >])
  • Williams (ab Ithel), John, (ed), 1860, Annales Cambriae (444 – 1288) (London: Longman, Green, Longman, and Roberts)(s.a. 1147 as Guidd grug) online copy
  • Rickard, John, 2002, The Castle Community. The Personnel of English and Welsh Castles, 1272-1422 (Boydell Press) (lists sources for 1272-1422) p. 200