Norwich Bishop Bridge

Has been described as a Certain Fortified Bridge

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameNorwich Bishop Bridge
Alternative Names
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishNorwich

Bridge, the oldest in Norwich, built circa 1340; originally maintained by the bishops but the city given control in 1393. There is a reference to a gate built on the bridge in 1343 and a plan of circa 1650 shows a rectangular tower occupying almost the entire western half of the bridge. The gate has since been demolished. (PastScape)

Bridge. Circa 1340 onwards. Flint with brick dressings. Stone and brick. 3 spans of segmental stone arches on piers. Parapet with semi-circular return at west end and wrought-iron lamp-standard on north side. (Listed Building Report)

Was so called because it led directly to the Bishop's palace, and in 1249 belonged to the see; it being then repaired by the Bishop and Priors of Norwich and St. Leonard, but afterwards being a general inlet also into the city, it was agreed to be in the citizen's hands, and accordingly it hath belonged to, and been maintained by, the city, ever since 1393, and they always appointed a porter to live over, and keep the gates; but the hermit which dwelt by them was always nominated by the prior, and the hermit's house, at the Dissolution, was assigned to the church. (Blomefield)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTG239089
Latitude52.6324081420898
Longitude1.30856001377106
Eastings623990
Northings308990
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Labrun, E.A., 1994, Civil Engineering Heritage: Eastern and Central England (Thomas Telford Ltd) p. 120
  • Jervoise, E., 1932, The Ancient Bridges of the Midlands and Eastern England (London; The Architectural Press for the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings) p. 121-2
  • Hannah, I.C., 1914, The Heart of East Anglia: the story of Norwich from earliest to latest times p. 81
  • Blyth, G.K., 1842, The Norwich Guide and Directory
  • Blomefield, F., 1806, An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 4 p. 402 online transcription

Journals

  • Harrison, D., McKeague, P. and Watson, B., 2010, 'England's fortified medieval bridges and bridge chapels: a new survey' Medieval Settlement Research Vol. 25 p. 45-51 online copy
  • Gurney, D. and Penn, K., 1999, 'Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1998' Norfolk Archaeology Vol 43.2 p. 380

Primary Sources

  • Hudson, W. and Tingey, J.C.(eds), 1869, The Records of the City of Norwich (Norwich: Jarrold and Sons) Vol. 2 p. 217 online copy

Other

  • Bruce Watson, 2013 Sept, Gazetteer of fortified bridges (working list kindly shared with Gatehouse)