Stiffkey Old Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are major building remains

NameStiffkey Old Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishStiffkey

Built of flint and brick, the Hall originally flanked the west, north and east sides of a courtyard. There were four corner towers and two more at the inner angles. The present owner, Miss Greenyer, said it was by the Bacon family who acquired the property in the late 16th c. A fire in the 18th c left the banqueting hall, which formed the east half of the north range, a shell, the two north-east towers derelict, and demolished the east wing and south-east tower. Most of the four-centred arch doorways seem to be later inserts and the west wind is said to incorporate a medieval core although there is no external evidence of this. The small gatehouse central to the south side carries the Bacon arms and crest, and is dated 1604. (PastScape)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTF974429
Latitude52.9475898742676
Longitude0.936860024929047
Eastings597426
Northings342963
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) p. 458
  • Smith, H., 2002, 'Concept and Compromise: Sir Nicholas Bacon and the Building of Stiffkey Hall' in Harper-Bill, C. (ed) East Anglia's History: Studies in Honour of Norman Scarfe (Boydell and Brewer) p. 159-187
  • Cooper, Nicholas, 1999, Houses of the Gentry, 1480-1680 (Yale University Press) p. 255
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus and Wilson, Bill, 1997, Buildings of England: Norwich and north-east Norfolk (Penguin) p. 321-2
  • Smith, H.. 1994. 'The Gardens of Sir Nicholas and Sir Francis Bacon: an engima resolved and a mind explored' in Fletcher, A. and Roberts, P. (eds) Religion, Culture and Society in early Modern Britain (CUP) p. 155-159

Journals

  • Bradfer-Lawrence, H., 1928, Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 23 p.308-
  • 1916 Feb 19, Country Life p. 240
  • Jones, H., 1879, 'Stiffkey: A Sketch' Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 8 p. 143- online copy

Other

  • 1996, A Potted History of Stiffkey Old Hall (Norfolk HER)