Burton Upon Trent Bridge

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Bridge

There are no visible remains

NameBurton Upon Trent Bridge
Alternative Names
Historic CountryStaffordshire
Modern AuthorityStaffordshire
1974 AuthorityStaffordshire
Civil ParishBurton Upon Trent

The site of a medieval bridge crossing the River Trent, which incorporated a gate and chapel, and which was the scene of many civil war conflicts. (Staffs HER)

A bridge across the Trent was evidently in existence at Burton as early as the 12th century, for a grant of land for the benefit of the bridge is recorded in 1175. It is mentioned again in the 13th and 14th centuries. In the 19th century, when it was demolished to make way for the present bridge, it had thirty-six arches. (PastScape ref. Jervoise)

Gatehouse Comments

The Staffs HER has this under the broadclass 'Defence' but this probably refers to the battle sites rather than the bridge. However the mention of a gate does mean this bridge may have had a defensive roll, although such gates probably served more to regulate toll collection.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK255232
Latitude52.8063888549805
Longitude-1.62189996242523
Eastings425590
Northings323290
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Max Bladon All Rights Reserved
Copyright Max Bladon All Rights Reserved
Copyright Max Bladon All Rights Reserved
Copyright Max Bladon All Rights Reserved
Copyright Max Bladon All Rights Reserved
Copyright Max Bladon All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Tringham, N.J., 2003, in Tringham, N.J. (ed), VCH Staffordshire Vol. 9 p. 3, 6 online transcription
  • Jervoise, E., 1932, The Ancient Bridges of the Midlands and Eastern England (London; The Architectural Press for the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings) p. 5-6
  • Molyneux, W., 1869, History of Burton on Trent p. 54-62
  • Stebbing Shaw, 1798, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire Vol. 1 p. 14-21

Antiquarian

  • Robert Plot, 1686, The Natural History of Staffordshire p. 372