Two Lions Inn, Penrith
Has been described as a Possible Fortified Town House, and also as a Possible Pele Tower
There are masonry ruins/remnants remains
|Name||Two Lions Inn, Penrith
|Alternative Names||Gerard Lowther's House; 'Dockray Hall'
Two Lions Public House and integral stables C17 and C18. Roughcast over stone, 2 low storeys. Old moulded doorway with 4-centred head and studded door, a 16-paned sash window on each floor, and an additional new window above. Added porch on right and gabled wing farther right. Another old doorway to left with shaped lintel, with stable and loft farther left. An ogee headed opening in passage to rear. Rear has blocked stone-mullioned window with label, re-used datestone. Stone stables with sashes. Fine plaster ceiling with heraldic shields of Lowther family. (Listed Building Report)
Two Lions Inn. Built circa 1500 with later alterations, formerly known as Bowling Green Inn and "Dockray Hall". (PastScape ref. 1947 List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest)
Solar block, hall, courtyard and gateway, drawbar and reinforced door.
Important transitional type of hall house and needs further investigation. Perhaps has similarities with Great Salkeld Rectory. (Perriam and Robinson 1998)
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NY515299