Beverley Manor of the Archbishop of York

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop)

There are no visible remains

NameBeverley Manor of the Archbishop of York
Alternative NamesWatertowns; The Dings; Bishop Dings; Hall Garth
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityEast Riding of Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishBeverley

Site of a moated residence of the Archbishops of York. It includes an irregular sub-rectangular moat surrounding a central island. The moat is visible on the northern, southern and eastern sides of the island, while the fourth, western, arm has been infilled. The southern and eastern arms have, in part, been redug as drainage ditches. The northern arm of the moat has been partially infilled and is now only a few centimetres deep. The western arm has been completely infilled and Long Lane, a metalled road, has been built over the top of it. The southern arm of the moat is also silted. The island has earthwork features across it. In 1948 limited excavations were carried out on the site to establish the location of buildings on the site. To the south of the inn at the north- eastern corner of the site, good quality ashlar-faced walls were found. Foundations of three other adjacent buildings were uncovered, including two halls aligned north-south and a further structure to the south thought to be the tower built by Robert Neville during the reign of Henry VI. In 1980 a rescue excavation was carried out on the eastern end of a wooden bridge abutment by the western moat. The timbers from which it was constructed have been dated to the years 1315-1330. The archiepiscopal manor was built before 1280, the date of the first documentary reference. During the early 14th century a timber bridge was built across the moat at the north-western corner of the site, including a possible drawbridge. During the 15th century, stone buildings were being built and enlarged on the site, and by 1444 the Archbishop's court was being held in the great hall of the manor, and his gaol was on the site. By the 1540's the site was in ruin and the stone was being removed, probably to build the Beverley Parks hunting lodge

In the post-medieval period the site continued to be the site of the manorial court and gaol of Beverley Watertowns, until a public house was built at the north-eastern corner of the site in the 19th century. This was demolished in 1958. (Scheduling Report)

The archbishop's base in Beverley was initially his hall in the market place. This stone building was known as the Dings or the Bishop Dings and was in existence by the 1160s. In 1282 the Dings was made over to the town by Archbishop Wickwane for an annual rent of 6s. 8d. By this date the archbishop had moved his Beverley residence to a moated site south of the minster, later known as Hall Garth. The archbishop's manor there was mentioned in 1280. In 1444 there was a reference to the archbishop's court being held in the great hall of the manor, and the archbishop's gaol was presumably also on the same site. Little is known about other buildings but surviving earthworks suggest that they may have been extensive. The archbishop's house there, or its predecessor in the market place, had a chapel, and in 1258 a chaplain was collated to the chapel of St. Swithin within the court of the archbishop at Beverley. An inventory of 1388 mentions only a hall and a kitchen. In 1980 excavation revealed the eastern abutment of a timber bridge, which spanned the moat near its north-western corner and may have supported lifting gear for a drawbridge; an early C14 date has been suggested. Work was under way on the manor in 1409-10, but by the 1530s the house had been abandoned and Leland described it as 'all in ruin'. (VCH)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTA037391
Latitude53.8379898071289
Longitude-0.424849987030029
Eastings503744
Northings439119
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 188
  • Williams, Alison, 1996, 'Castles and moated sites' in Neave, Susan and Ellis, Stephen, An Historical Atlas of East Yorkshire (University of Hull Press) p. 32-3
  • Neave, Susan, 1991, Medieval Parks of East Yorkshire (Univeristy of Hull) p. 20-21
  • Allison, K.J. (ed), 1989 'Medieval Beverley: The Archbishop and Beverley' VCH Yorkshire: East Riding Vol. 6 online transcription
  • Miller, K., Robinson, J., English, B. and Hall, I., 1982, Beverley: an Archaeological and Architectural Study (London: HMSO, RCHME Supplementary Series 4) p. 11-12
  • Le Patourel, H.E. Jean, 1973, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire (The Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph Series 5) p. 110
  • MacMahon, K., 1973, Beverley p. 40
  • Sheahan, J.J., and Whellan, T., 1855, History and topography of the city of York, the Ainsty Wapentake and the East Riding of Yorkshire Vol. 2 p. 225-6 online copy
  • Poulson, George, 1829, Beverlac; or, The antiquities and history of the town of Beverley (London) p. 791-2 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 533
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1907, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 46 online copy

Journals

  • Aberg, F.A., 1985, 'Recent research on medieval moated sites in England’ Château Gaillard Vol. 12 p. 185-197 esp. 190, 197
  • 1981, Medieval Archaeology Vol. 25 p. 216-8 download copy

Primary Sources

  • Leach, A.F., 1897, Memorials of Beverley Minster: the Chapter Act Book of the Collegiate Church of S. John of Beverley, 1286-1347; with illustrative documents and introduction. Vol. I (Surtees Society 98) p. LI
  • Leach, A.F., 1903, Memorials of Beverley Minster: the Chapter Act Book of the Collegiate Church of S. John of Beverley, 1286-1347; with illustrative documents and introduction. Vol. II (Surtees Society 108) p. 352

Other

  • Historic England, 2015, Heritage at Risk Yorkshire Register 2015 (London: Historic England) p. 21 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2014, Heritage at Risk Register 2014 Yorkshire (London: English Heritage) p. 25 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2013, Heritage at Risk Register 2013 Yorkshire (London: English Heritage) p. 25 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2012, Heritage at Risk Register 2012 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 43 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 40 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2010, Heritage at Risk Register 2010 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 40 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2009, Heritage at Risk Register 2009 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 51 online copy
  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)