Church of St John of Beverley, Harpham

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are major building remains

NameChurch of St John of Beverley, Harpham
Alternative Names
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityEast Riding of Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishHarpham

A licence to crenellate a belfry in the churchyard of the chapel of Harpham was obtained in 1374 by Joan, widow of William St Quentin.

12th century nave, early 14th century chancel, late 14th century west tower and north chapel, chancel east window by Temple Moore, 1909. Ashlar, brick to chancel east end, nave eaves, and south porch, lead roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel, north chapel. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

This presumable resulted in the west tower of the parish church of St John. Although this is an ordinary church bell tower with crenellations this is not a defensive structure. The parish church it is closely associated with the manorial complex of the chief seat of one branch of St Quentin family and contains the memorials of the St Quentin family including Joan and William.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTA092615
Latitude54.0385589599609
Longitude-0.333750009536743
Eastings509230
Northings461580
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Allison, K.J. (ed), 1974, VCH Yorkshire: East Riding Vol. 2 p. 224
  • Le Patourel, H.E. Jean, 1973, The Moated Sites of Yorkshire (The Society for Medieval Archaeology Monograph Series 5) p. 113
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 417 online copy

Journals

  • Coulson, C., 1982, 'Hierarchism in Conventual Crenellation: An Essay in the Sociology and Metaphysics of Medieval Fortification' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 26 p. 69-100 see online copy
  • Glynne, Stephen, 1894-5, 'Notes on Yorkshire Churches' Yorkshire Archaeological Journal Vol. 13 p. 398-400 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1914, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1370-74) Vol. 15 p. 407 online copy