Wingham Court

Has been described as a Possible Palace (Bishop)

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameWingham Court
Alternative Names
Historic CountryKent
Modern AuthorityKent
1974 AuthorityKent
Civil ParishWingham

House. C15, extended 1574, and reclad early C18 and early C19. Timber framed and clad with red brick and rendered to entrance elevation. Plain tiled roof. Two storeys on plinth with boxed eaves to roof with hip to left end, and shaped gable to right, with iron wall ties initialled W:C; projecting stack at end right, and cluster to centre left. Four glazing-bar sashes on first, and 2 tripartite and one single glazing-bar sashes on ground floor. Door of 8 panels to centre left in panelled surround with pediment on engaged Doric columns. Projectiong rear wings to main range also with shaped gables. Extended to left by framed building with painted brick infill, one storey and attic with 3 hipped dormers and stack to rear right. One canted bay with glazing-bar sashes, and one bay to right with large tripartite glazing bar sash. Door of 6 raised and fielded panels, the top 2 glazed, with flat hood on brackets. Wall to right C18, of red brick, swept down twice to about 5 feet and buttressed, and returned to east and south along road front for about 50 yards, terminated by pier with ball finial. Interior: main range originally four framed bays with central left cross-passage. Crown-post roof. Well within south wing. Attached single-storey range with stack dated 1574. Panelled interiors. The house was the manor house of the Archbishop's manor of Wingham, and here they and the great of the time were frequent residents. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTR241574
Latitude51.2717208862305
Longitude1.21238994598389
Eastings624170
Northings157410
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Jo Turner and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Emery, Anthony, 2006, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 3 Southern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 320-25
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 171
  • Newman, John, 1983, Buildings of England: North east and east Kent p. 500
  • Hoskins, W.G., 1982, Fieldwork in Local History (Faber and Faber) p. 48-9
  • Hussey, A., 1890, Chronicles of Wingham
  • Hasted, Edward, 1801, The history and topographical survey of the county of Kent Vol. 12 p. 524-5 online transcription
  • Hasted, Edward, 1800 (2edn), The history and topographical survey of the county of Kent Vol. 9 p. 224-41 online transcription

Journals

  • Parkin, E.W., 1977, 'Wingham, A medieval Town' Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 93 p. 67 online copy
  • 1964, Kent Life Magazine p. 28-9
  • Hussey, A., 1911, 'Chapels in Kent' Archaeologia Cantiana Vol. 29 p. 218 online copy

Other

  • Kent County Council, December 2004, Kent Historic Towns Survey (Kent County Council and English Heritage) view online copy
  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)