Edenhall Church of St Cuthbert

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower, and also as a Possible Fortified Ecclesiastical site

There are no visible remains

NameEdenhall Church of St Cuthbert
Alternative Names
Historic CountryCumberland
Modern AuthorityCumbria
1974 AuthorityCumbria
Civil ParishLangwathby

Parish church. C12 with C13, C14 and C15 alterations and additions. Repaired 1662 by Sir Philip Musgrave and renovated in 1834 for the Musgrave family. Red sandstone rubble walls with C19 angle buttresses; the tower of more regular blocks of square dressed red sandstone. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 3-bay nave with C19 south porch, square 2-storey west tower, C19 north vestry and 2-bay chancel. Nave has C19 round-headed doorway within porch. Large 3-light C14 south window and smaller 2-light C19 windows, all with cusped heads. Built into the south wall left of the porch are 2 fragments of a medieval graveslab. North wall has blocked C12 narrow round-headed window and C14 2-light window. Vestry has shields with Musgrave coats-of-arms. Tower of c.1450 has 2-light cusped-headed west window incorporating the Musgrave and constituent family coats-of-arms. Similar windows for bell openings. Battlemented parapet has unusual rectangular openings. Short spire with weather vane. Chancel has blocked priest's doorway and lancet window to left. C14 and C15 2-light windows. C19 pointed-arched east window. C19 north door. All walls show signs of having been raised, most noticeable on chancel. Interior of nave has 1834 oak trussed roof. C19 rear gallery with panels of Musgrave family arms. Medieval font shaped like a cushion capital. Heraldic stained glass, some of the panels pre-C17. Chancel has C19 panelled oak ceiling. Various white marble wall plaques from 1650s- early C19 all commemorating members of the Musgrave family. Under carpet is a C15 brass showing William Stapleton and his wife, thought to be the finest brass in the county. Various C18 and C19 white marble and brass wall plaques to rectors and Musgrave family staff. C19 linen-fold panelled choir stalls. C19 stained-glass windows have fragments of earlier glass brought here from one of the Musgrave houses, probably in 1834. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

Brooke writes the west tower is defensible and was possibly a retreat for the priest.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNY569320
Latitude54.6816101074219
Longitude-2.67009997367859
Eastings356900
Northings532050
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Brooke, C.J., 2000, Safe Sanctuaries (Edinburgh; John Donald) p. 313-4
  • Bulmer, T.F., 1901, History, Topography, and Directory Of Cumberland p. 365-7 online transcription