Hipswell Hall

Has been described as a Possible Fortified Manor House

There are major building remains

NameHipswell Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishHipswell

Western range of fortified manor house, now farmhouse. C15 with alterations dated 1596. Manor house of the Fulthorpe family, altered for George Wandesford. Coursed stone, part roughcast, with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys with near-central 3-storey tower porch, 2 first-floor windows. Quoins. Embattled parapet. Porch: part-glazed door in chamfered ashlar surround with triangular soffit to lintel. Above, plaque with raised lettering "GW 1596". First floor: 2-light double-chamfered mullion window with vertical iron bars and hoodmould. Second floor: 2-light double- chamfered mullion window with vertical iron bars. Plain parapet. Left return of porch: double-chamfered light vent between ground and first floors; waterspout from parapet. Right return of porch: waterspout from parapet. House, to left of porch: 4-light double-chamfered mullion window with vertical iron bars and hoodmould on ground floor; 4-light double- chamfered mullion and transom window with vertical iron bars and hoodmould on first floor. To right of porch: 2-storey 5-sided bay window with ogee lights in square heads with recessed spandrels and vertical iron bars. First-floor windows cinquefoil-cusped, those on ground floor have had the cusping cut away. Between windows, a traceried panel with a cross moline, the arms of the Fulthorpes. Crenellated parapet. To right of window, waterspout from parapet. Rear: most original openings blocked, including a doorway and windows. On first floor, a window of 2 pointed lights. Two- storey flat-roofed extension, said to be of c.1917, re-using old materials, and with re-set chamfered doorway with triangular soffit to lintel and board door on left return. Right return: 5-light chamfered mullion window with hoodmould on ground floor; 5-light chamfered mullion and transom window with hoodmould on first floor. Interior: armorial shield in plaster ceiling of ground floor bay window

The extensive manor house is shown in Samuel Buck's Yorkshire Sketchbook (1979), p. 384. VCH i, p. 302. H. Speight, Romantic Richmondshire (1897), p. 118. (Listed Building Report)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE188984
Latitude54.380931854248
Longitude-1.71188998222351
Eastings418810
Northings498420
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 25
  • Ryder, P.F., 1982 (paperback edn 1992), The Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (Ash Grove Book) p. 132
  • Samuel Buck, 1979, Samuel Buck's Yorkshire Sketchbook: Reproduced in Facsimile from Lansdowne MS.914 in the British Library (The King's England Press)
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1914, VCH Yorkshire: North Riding Vol. 1 p. 302 online transcription
  • Ambler, L., 1913, The old halls and manor houses of Yorkshire, with some examples of other houses built before the year 1700 (London: Batsford) p. 46-7 online copy
  • Speight, Harry, 1897, Romantic Richmondshire (London: Elliot Stock) p. 118 online copy