Kenilworth Castle

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Certain Masonry Castle, and also as a Certain Palace (Royal)

There are major building remains

NameKenilworth Castle
Alternative NamesKillingworth; Kenelworth; Kenelworde; Killingsworth; Chenilleworda
Historic CountryWarwickshire
Modern AuthorityWarwickshire
1974 AuthorityWarwickshire
Civil ParishKenilworth

The original castle is thought to have been a motte and bailey which was replaced by a fortified keep and a curtain wall towards the end of C12. In 1173-4 Kenilworth Castle was garrisoned for Henry II and became a royal castle which was to be refortified and redesigned over several centuries. In 1253 Henry III granted the castle to Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, but following his death in 1265, the castle was surrendered to the king who granted it to his younger son, the Earl of Lancaster. Following John of Gaunt's marriage to Blanche, daughter of the first Duke of Lancaster, Kenilworth Castle passed to him in 1361 and he was responsible for upgrading it to become, in effect a royal palace. In 1533 the castle was granted to John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, but following his execution, it returned to the Crown. The grant was renewed to his son, Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester and favourite of Elizabeth I, who made extensive changes. (PastScape)

Kenilworth Castle is a well preserved example of a very large enclosure castle which evolved over many centuries from its origins as a small motte and bailey castle into a spectacular medieval royal residence. Its direct links with the crown of England from the 12th century through to the 16th century have ensured that the site is exceptionally well documented through both written and pictorial records providing details of the major construction periods, the costs and dates of repairs and alterations to existing structures, and detailed ownership information. Part excavation has indicated that structural and artefactual evidence for the original timber and stone structures which occupied the inner court will survive beneath the ground surface. These buried remains will contain valuable information on less well documented early history and occupation of the site

The latter phases in the castle's development in particular, retain outstanding examples of structures which are typical of late medieval high status residences, for example, the great hall and Leicester's Building. The standing remains of these state apartments clearly reflect, both in their size and their elaborate internal decoration, the pretensions of the castle's inhabitants. The importance of water as a medieval defensive feature is clearly seen at Kenilworth where the whole of the castle was defended by water and many exemplary water control features are preserved: the artificial mere, the Lower Pool, the northern moat and the Brays' external ditch system; but, at the same time, the mere was evidently seen as a picturesque feature, lending grandeur to the castle's setting. The accumulated silts within these features provide conditions suitable for the preservation of environmental evidence and artefacts related to the castle's occupation and the landscape in which it was set. The alterations to the mere dam in the 16th century which allowed it to be used for tilting are well documented and reflect the importance of sporting pastimes for the highest orders of 16th century society. The Tiltyard at Kenilworth is a particularly rare feature nationally (the only other example yet identified is at Tattershall Castle in Lincolnshire). The site as a whole provides a valuable illustration of the display of wealth and status during the medieval and Early Renaissance periods amongst the royal family and the aristocracy. As a site in the care of the Secretary of State and open to the public, the castle is a valuable educational resource and public amenity.

The monument is situated on the north western outskirts of Kenilworth and includes the standing, earthwork and buried remains of Kenilworth Castle, an enclosure castle, and the earthwork remains of its associated water control features. The majority of the site is in the care of the Secretary of State and the castle's standing remains are also Listed Grade I. Kenilworth formed part of the royal manor of Stoneleigh at the time of the Domesday Survey (1086), but early in the 12th century it was granted by Henry I to his chamberlain, Geoffrey de Clinton. The original castle at Kenilworth is thought to have been a motte and bailey castle which was replaced by a fortified keep and a curtain wall towards the end of the 12th century. The castle defences were strengthened by damming local streams to create a large lake or mere to the west which in turn provided the water supply for a moat and a pool to the north and east of the castle. In 1173-4 Kenilworth Castle was garrisoned for Henry II and became a royal castle which was to be refortified and redesigned over several centuries. In 1253 Henry III granted the castle to Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester, but following his death at the Battle of Evesham in 1265, the castle was surrendered to the king who granted it to his younger son, the Earl of Lancaster. Following John of Gaunt's marriage to Blanche, daughter of the first Duke of Lancaster, Kenilworth Castle passed to him in 1361 and he was responsible for upgrading it to become, in effect, a royal palace. In 1533 the castle was granted to John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, but following his execution, it returned to the Crown. The grant was renewed to his son, Robert Dudley, the Earl of Leicester and favourite of Elizabeth I, who sponsored extensive structural development at Kenilworth until his death in 1588. During the Civil War Charles I's forces initially occupied the castle but the king withdrew his garrison from Kenilworth and it was occupied by the Parliamentarians who demolished the north wall of the keep and the north curtain wall to render the castle untenable. By the late 17th century the castle's northern gatehouse had been converted into a residence which was inhabited through to the 20th century but the remainder of the buildings were gradually abandoned. The remains of the motte of the original castle are believed to take the form of an artificial mound, approximately 3m-4.6m high, which is now enclosed within the keep, whilst the inner court of the castle is thought to occupy the site of the original bailey. The buildings of the early 12th century castle are thought to have been timber structures which were subsequently replaced by stone built ones. The inner court is located on a bluff of higher ground from which the ground falls away on all sides except to the east. Excavations immediately to the north of the keep have recovered evidence to indicate that the inner court was surrounded by a ditch which is thought to date from at least the late 12th century. A section of this ditch remains visible as an earthwork on the eastern side of the inner court, north of Leicester's Building. Access into the inner court is via a causeway across the eastern section of this ditch and a portcullis groove and part of an archway visible at the south eastern corner of the keep represent the remains of this fortified gate. From the 12th century onwards the inner court was surrounded by a curtain wall, parts of which still stand incorporated within later buildings. A short section of the wall's foundations is visible on the south eastern side of the inner court, but further remains will survive as buried features. The keep is thought to have been one of a number of buildings which occupied the inner court during the 12th century and although there is no surface evidence for these other structures, they will survive as buried features beneath the standing remains of the court's later buildings. The sandstone keep occupies the north eastern side of the inner court and is a massive rectangular building with large square corner turrets. The main part of the keep has two storeys with an additional gallery and a wall walk. Some of the original window openings remain visible within the keep, but most were altered during the 16th century to allow more light into the building. Access into the keep is via a forebuilding which has been constructed against the keep's western side, protecting its main entrance and providing extra rooms. In 1570 the interior of the forebuilding was altered by the Earl of Leicester, transforming it into an arcaded gallery to provide access from the inner court to a pleasure garden which was laid out within the outer court to the north. Under John of Gaunt the existing structures within the inner court were either remodelled or rebuilt with more luxurious proportions. A new suite of state apartments was erected along the south and west sides of the inner court with kitchens to the north, an arrangement which is typical of the later medieval period, but which may suggest that they occupy the site of earlier building ranges. The remains of the kitchens date mostly from the 1380s and stand to the east of the keep. They have been built against the curtain wall, and three contemporary fireplaces are visible within their northern wall, whilst those at the eastern end are 15th century insertions. The central feature of this work is the great hall which is considered to have been one of the largest and finest secular apartments of 14th century Britain. This building appears to be a remodelling of its predecessor, which was itself reroofed in 1347, though the work was not complete until c.1390. The arcades of pre-existing structures were swept away to be replaced by the widest single span trussed roof of its day and a vaulted undercroft, which was inserted below the hall. The transomed two light windows and fireplaces, which survive at first floor level, were also added during this period. Attached to the north west corner of the hall is the Strong Tower which provided access to both levels of the hall and to the kitchens. The tower was vaulted on all three levels, and contained chambers and storerooms. At its south west corner, the Strong Tower is balanced by the Saintlowe Tower which connected the hall to the state apartments to the south east. The southern side of the inner court is occupied by several buildings dating from the 14th and 16th centuries. South east of the great hall are the remains of a range of private chambers located on either side of an octagonal porch which has fine traceried windows on its first floor. The White Hall or Great Chamber to the west is considered to be a 14th century rebuilding of an earlier private apartment, whilst to the east are the standing remains of Gaunt's Tower. This building retains paired garderobes at ground and first floor levels and chambers within its upper two storeys. The foundations of a small chapel are visible approximately 21m to the north east of Gaunt's Tower. It is believed to have been built in the 13th century and there are references to a timber framed chapel on its first floor. Documentary and pictorial records indicate that a partly timber framed building range was erected between the chapel and the keep thus defining the eastern side of the inner court. It was referred to as 'newly buylded' in a survey of c.1545 but is believed to have been completed by 1532. This range, which later became known as Henry VIII's Lodgings, has since been demolished but its foundations will survive beneath the ground surface. Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester, undertook a range of improvements, modernisations and refurbishments at Kenilworth Castle to bring it up-to-date with 16th century fashions. A section of the curtain wall was demolished in order to construct a new three storey residential building in the south eastern part of the inner court and this provided accommodation for distinguished guests staying at the castle. Leicester's Building projects southwards beyond the inner court and overlies an infilled section of the original inner court ditch. It is built of stone and is rectangular in plan with a tower projecting from its south western corner which is thought to have contained a staircase. The building is subdivided into three sections, two of which stood three storeys high and one of two floors with a basement below. Each floor contained a suite of rooms, including a service room, a bedroom and a principal room facing east. The interior of the building retains a number of architectural features including ornamental fireplaces and doorways. During the 18th century it was occupied by weavers from Coventry. The inner court is situated within a larger, outer court which was defended by a bank and waterfilled moat to the north, by the Lower Pool to the east and south east, and to the west and south west by the mere. The water for the moat was supplied from the mere, but due to the differences in water level in the north eastern part of the site the moat and Lower Pool were separated from each other by a buttressed retaining wall. This wall remains visible to the east of Leicester's Gatehouse. The Lower Pool is now mostly dry and covers an area of approximately 0.9ha. It has a square plan and is bounded on its western, southern and eastern sides by earthen banks. The water for the pool was supplied from the northern moat and a break within the southern bank is thought to represent its outlet channel. King John was responsible for the construction of a curtain wall around the outer court which was strengthened at strategic intervals by angle towers. The north western corner of the wall's circuit is occupied by the Swan Tower, whilst its north eastern and south eastern corners are defended by Lunn's Tower and the Water Tower respectively. There is no evidence for towers along the southern and western sections of the curtain wall and here the wall was strengthened by buttresses and defended by the mere beyond. The curtain wall was constructed at the beginning of the 13th century, but documentary records indicate that several sections were rebuilt during the 14th century, including part of the southern wall which is considerably thicker. The western curtain wall retains a small gateway with steps beyond, which originally provided access to the mere. The northern curtain wall originally included two small towers, one of which is known from excavation to have contained a postern gate. This is believed to have fallen into disuse by the mid-16th century following the construction of Leicester's Gatehouse. The northern curtain wall was demolished after the Civil War. Its foundations and those of the two associated towers however, will survive as buried features. Robert Dudley was responsible for altering the entrance arrangements to the castle by erecting a gatehouse at the northern end of the outer court which superseded Mortimer's Tower (at the south eastern angle of the outer court) as the main entrance into the castle. Leicester's Gatehouse formed an imposing approach from the main Coventry road and provided easier access to the castle's deer park to the west. It is a two storeyed, rectangular sandstone building with octagonal corner turrets and mullioned and transomed windows. In the 1650s, following the Civil War, it was converted to a private residence by blocking the gate passage to create a basement and ground floor, and by adding an extension on the east side of the building. Leicester's Gatehouse is Listed Grade I and is not included in the scheduling, although the ground beneath the building is included. A further elaborate improvement to the castle by Robert Dudley was the construction of a stable block along the eastern side of the outer court. It is built against the outer curtain wall and an excavation in 1976-84 within the interior of the building has indicated that it overlies an earlier structure of similar dimensions. Leicester's Stables measures 49m in length, its lower storey is of stone with brick and half timbering above. There are four ground floor entries all of which are on the east side of the building. The two round headed arched openings at the northern end are original, whilst the principal entry through a central porch and a wide entry to the south have been rebuilt. Immediately to the west of the stables are the foundations of a building which has been identified as the remains of a second chapel erected by Thomas, Earl of Lancaster in 1313 to serve as a chantry or collegiate church. Documentary evidence indicates that it was more or less completed by 1318, but a chantry was never founded. Evidence for further buildings which originally stood in the outer court are visible to the south of the great hall. Here, the internal face of the curtain wall retains a fireplace and three narrow window openings which represent the remains of an early 13th century building which was erected against the curtain wall. Approximately 800m north west of the castle, at the western edge of the mere are the earthwork remains of an elaborate moated site, known as the Pleasance. This was laid out by Henry V in c.1414 as a pleasure garden and a place of entertainment for a restricted circle of medieval aristocrats, including the king himself. In the 16th century, the Pleasance was abandoned and Henry VIII reerected its timber framed banqueting hall in the north western part of the outer court. The building stood in a triangular, walled enclosure to the south of Swan Tower and, although it has since been demolished, its foundations are thought to survive as buried features. The Pleasance itself is the subject of a separate scheduling. A pleasure garden was laid out to the east of this banqueting house by Robert Dudley prior to Elizabeth I's visit to Kenilworth in 1575. It was a formal, ornamental garden which occupied an area of almost 1ha and was divided into quarters with the walks meeting at a fountain. A levelled terrace is visible parallel to the northern wall of the keep and this is believed to be the remains of a terraced walkway, originally 3m high, from which the gardens could be viewed. The site of the garden was under cultivation until the 1930s and in 1970 it was partly excavated and then reconstructed using a 17th century plan and description. Further garden remains are visible within the outer court, situated immediately to the west of the great hall. Here the ground surface has been considerably raised and levelled and the area is thought to be the remains of a second ornamental garden which was added by either John of Gaunt or Robert Dudley and provided fine views over the mere. The mere covered an area of approximately 100 acres to the south and west of the core of the castle and, together with the Lower Pool and the northern moat, made Kenilworth Castle almost impregnable. During the later medieval period and the 16th century the mere became increasingly important as a decorative feature which enhanced the setting of the castle. The massive dam which retained the water within the mere runs south eastwards from the southern side of the outer court and is approximately 150m long and 40m wide at its base. In the 12th century a wall, strengthened by pilaster buttresses, ran along the east side of the dam, whilst during the 13th century a wall was added to the west side in order to fortify the whole of the dam and enlarge the area covered by the mere. Documentary records indicate that the height of the northern end of the dam was further increased in the mid-16th century in order to make it suitable for tilting, a favourite aristocratic sporting pastime, and it became known as the Tiltyard. Following the Civil War the dam was breached in order to drain the mere and prevent it being reflooded. Fragments of medieval masonry are exposed in places along the dam and, together with the surviving walls and foundations, indicate the great complexity of this structure. A 10m wide sample section of the floor of the mere adjacent to the dam, together with the dam itself, are included in the scheduling. The dam served a dual function; it was not only an essential defensive feature, but was also the principal means of access into the castle until the 16th century. The original gatehouse of the outer court, Mortimer's Tower, occupies the northern end of the dam and two periods of construction are visible. It was originally a 12th century square gate tower, to which two drum towers which flank the gate passage, were added in the 13th century. At the dam's southern end are the standing remains of the rectangular Gallery Tower which was erected to defend this end of the dam. In the 16th century Robert Dudley converted this structure into an observation gallery for tournament spectators. Beyond the Gallery Tower is the site of the medieval floodgate which controlled the level of the mere and the water supply to the Lower Pool. This was protected by walling and a masonry tower. The mere dam was considered to be such an important feature within the castle layout that a small tongue of land beyond the southern end of the dam was incorporated within the castle defences by Simon de Montfort in the 13th century. Known as the Brays, it provided protection for both the dam and the medieval floodgate and is enclosed to the south and east by a crescent shaped bank and an external ditch. Five levelled earthen mounds are visible at intervals along the top of the bank and it has been suggested that they were areas for tents or pavilions for tournament spectators rather than defensive works. There is a gap in the bank on the eastern side of the enclosure and this is occupied by the remains of two circular towers and a length of walling. These ruins are believed to be the facade of an elaborate entrance into the Brays which was built by Robert Dudley in the 16th century prior to one of Elizabeth I's three visits to Kenilworth between 1563 and 1575. The external ditch around the Brays measures up to 12m deep and 30m wide and was originally waterfilled. It was fed from the mere and its water level was controlled by several sluice gates. In 1962 an excavation at the north eastern end of the Brays located a stone dam and a sluice gate within the ditch, whilst an earthwork dam is visible at the southern angle. Beyond the south eastern part of the Brays the ground falls away quite steeply and the construction of a counterscarp bank here will have been necessary in order to retain water within the ditch. A second ditch is visible running east below the earthen dam at the southern angle; this is thought to be the remains of the outlet channel for the water defences of the Brays. It originally continued eastwards but has been infilled and modified by the construction of numbers 23-33 Castle Street and their gardens. A 30m length of the outlet channel is included in the scheduling in order to preserve the relationship between this feature, the dam and the external ditch. To the south and south west of the Brays are the earthwork remains of a further ditch which runs parallel to the external ditch and then turns east alongside the outlet channel. It is thought to have originally formed part of the castle's complex water management system and was one of several overflow channels which controlled water levels within the mere. It originally continued north westwards, parallel with the western facing ditch around the Brays, and connected with the mere, but this area has been modified by subsequent quarrying. The earthwork remains of the overflow channel, which are visible to the south of the Brays, are included in the scheduling. After the Civil War Kenilworth was purchased by a group of Parliamentarians who divided the estate between themselves, but following the Restoration, it was granted to the Hyde family, Earls of Rochester and Clarendon in 1665. Kenilworth Castle remained in the family's possession until 1937 when it was purchased by Sir John Davenport Siddeley who placed it in the care of the nation. Approximately 400m to the north east of Kenilworth Castle are the ruins, earthwork and buried remains of St Mary's Abbey which is the subject of a separate scheduling. (Scheduling Report)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSP278722
Latitude52.3477516174316
Longitude-1.59274995326996
Eastings427840
Northings272200
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Anthony Emery, 2016, Seats of power in Europe during the Hundred Years War: an architectural study from 1330 to 1480 (Oxbow Books) p. 47-54
  • Morris, R.K., 2011, 'Sidelights on the 14th-century architecture at Kenilworth Castle' in L. Monckton and R.K. Morris (eds) Coventry: medieval art, architecture and archaeology in the city and its vicinity (Leeds: Maney Publishing for the British Archaeological Association; BAA conference transactions 32)
  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) passim
  • Riley, B., 2009, Kenilworth's Elizabethan garden: 'A delight to all senses' (English Heritage)
  • Purton, P.F., 2010, A History of the Late Medieval Siege: 1200-1500 (Woodbridge: The Boydell Press) p. 80-1 (1266 siege), 299 (in 1460)
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 399-408
  • Keevill, Graham D., 2000, Medieval Palaces, An Archaeology (Stroud; Tempus) p. 41, 129, 135, 165, 170
  • Cooper, Nicholas, 1999, Houses of the Gentry, 1480-1680 (Yale University Press) p. 110
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 257-9 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 1993, Midlands Castles (Birmingham) p. 52-7
  • Thurley, Simon, 1993, The Royal Palaces of Tudor England (Yale University Press) p. 9, 10, 185
  • Salter, Mike, 1992, Castles and Moated Mansions of Warwickshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 31-7
  • McNeill, Tom, 1992, English Heritage book of castles p. 60-2, 75, 76, 81, 98, 122, 124, 126
  • Higham, R. and Barker, P., 1992, Timber Castles (Batsford) p. 135, 176
  • James, T.B., 1990, The Palaces of Medieval England (London; Seaby) p. 128-31, 134, 138-40, 174-5
  • Brown, R.Allen, 1989, Castles from the Air (Cambridge University Press) p. 132-34
  • Furtado, Peter et al (eds), 1988, Ordnance Survey guide to castles in Britain (London) p. 144
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 482-3
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 247-8
  • Cranstone, D.A.L., 1977, 'Kenilworth Castle' in Archaeological excavations 1976 (HMSO) p. 32
  • Thompson, M.W., 1977, 'Three stages in the construction of the hall at Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire' in Apted, M.R. et al (eds), Ancient Monuments and Their Interpretation: Essays Presented to A J Taylor (Phillimore) p. 211-18
  • Colvin, H.M., Ransome, D.R. and Summerson, John, 1975, The history of the King's Works Vol. 3: 1485-1660 (part 1) (London) p. 258-60
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 212-14
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus and Wedgwood, Alexandra, 1966, Buildings of England: Warwickshire p. 320-5
  • Colvin, H.M., Brown, R.Allen and Taylor, A.J., 1963, The history of the King's Works Vol. 2: the Middle Ages (London: HMSO) p. 683-5
  • Toy, Sidney, 1953, The Castles of Great Britain (Heinemann) p. 136-9
  • Salzman, L.F. (ed), 1951 VCH Warwickshire Vol. 6 p. 143-8 online transcription
  • Toy, Sidney, 1939, Castles: A short History of Fortifications from 1600 BC to AD 1600 (London) p. 74-5
  • Oman, Charles W.C., 1926, Castles (1978 edn Beetham House: New York) p. 71-9
  • Evans, Herbert A., 1912, Castles of England and Wales (London) p. 244-60
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Gotch, J. Alfred, 1909, The Growth of the English House (London: Batsford) p. 53-60
  • Andrews, 1908, in Dryden, Memories of Old Warwickshire (London)
  • Willoughby Gardner, 1904, 'Ancient Defensive Earthworks' in Doubleday, H.A. and Page, Wm (eds), VCH Warwickshire Vol. 1 p. 379-82 online copy
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 1 p. 352-7 online copy
  • Ribton-Turner, C.J., 1893, Shakespeares Land (Lemington and London) p. 107-25 online copy
  • Clark, G.T., 1884, Mediaeval Military Architecture in England (Wyman and Sons) Vol. 1 p. 80 online copy; Vol. 2 p. 130-53 [online copy > http://hdl.handle.net/2027/pst.000005352807?urlappend=%3Bseq=170]
  • Knowles, E.H., 1872, The Castle of Kenilworth (Warwick: Henry T.Cooke and Son)
  • Timbs, J. and Gunn, A., 1872, Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales Vol. 2 (London) p. 381-9 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 240-1 online copy
  • Hartshorne, C.H., 1858, Feudal and Military Antiquities of Northumberland and the Scottish Borders (London) p. 64-7, cxxxvi-ix (history) online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1853, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 2 p. 244 online copy
  • Pugin, A., 1850, Pugin's Examples of Gothic Architecture (London: Henry and Bohn) Vol. 2
  • Britton, John, 1835, The Architectural Antiquities of Great Britain (London) Vol. 4 p. 140-8
  • Anon, 1821 (13edn), Concise History and Description of Kenilworth Castle (Warwick)
  • Anon, 1821, Kenilworth Illustrated (Chiswick)
  • Buck, Samuel and Nathaniel, 1774, Buck's Antiquities (London) Vol. 2 p. 299
  • Grose, Francis, 1785 (new edn orig 1756), Antiquities of England and Wales (London) Vol. 6 p. 1-13 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Dugdale, Wm., 1656, The Antiquities of Warwickshire (Thomas Warren) p. 159-168 (plan and illustrations of the castle before the Civil War slighting) online copy
  • Camden, Wm, 1607, Britannia hypertext critical edition by Dana F. Sutton (2004)
  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 475, 477
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1908, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 2 p. 109 online copy
  • Celia Fiennes, 1888, Through England on a Side Saddle in the Time of William and Mary (London: Field and Tuer, The Leadenhall Press) Vision of Britain online transcription

Journals

  • Elaine Jamieson and Rebecca Lane, 2015, 'Monuments, Mobility and Medieval Perceptions of Designed Landscapes: The Pleasance, Kenilworth' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 59 p. 255-271
  • James Petre, 2015-16, 'Kenilworth castle as it may have been at the time of the great siege of 1266' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 29 p. 220-29
  • Neil Guy, 2015-16, 'The Portcullis - design and development' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 29 p. 132-201
  • Elaine Jamieson and Rebecca Lane, spring 2013, 'The Pleasance, Kenilworth: a royal residence and pleasure garden' Research News No. 19 p. 26-9
  • Renn, Derek, 2011-12, 'Arrow-loops in the Great Tower of Kenilworth castle: Symbolism vs Active/Passive 'Defence'' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 25 p. 175-9 online copy
  • Guy, Neil, 2011-12, 'The Rise of the Anti-clockwise Newel Stair' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 25 p. 113-174 online copy
  • Marris, Marc, 2011, 'A show of strength' Heritage Today no. 96 p. 32-35
  • Guy, Neil, 2010, 'English Heritage re-creates the Magnificent Elizabethan Garden at Kenilworth Castle' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 23 p. 156-72
  • Wild, B.J., 2010, 'The siege of Kenilworth Castle, 1266' English Heritage Historical Review Vol. 5 p. 12-23 abstract and online purchase
  • Keay, A., 2010, ''The best proportioned old building in England': Kenilworth Castle 1588-1722' English Heritage Historical Review Vol. 5 p. 81-93 abstract and online purchase
  • Morris, R.K., 2009, ''I was never more in love with an olde howse nor never newe worke coulde be better bestowed': The Earl of Leicester's remodelling of Kenilworth Castle for Queen Elizabeth I' Antiquaries Journal Vol. 89 p. 241-305 available from
  • Creighton, O.H., 2010, 'Room with a View: Framing Castles Landscapes' Château Gaillard Vol. 24 p. 37-49 (slight)
  • Catling, C., 2009, 'Kenilworth Castle: the wooing of a Virgin Queen' Current Archaeology Vol. 20.4 No. 232 p. 34-41
  • Strong, R., 2009, 'Gloriana's garden: Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire' Country Life Vol. 203:31 p. 46-50
  • Keay, A., 2008, 'Dover Castle' Conservation Bulletin Vol. 58 p. 38
  • Molyneux, N.A.D., 2008, 'Kenilworth Castle in 1563' English Heritage Historical Review Vol. 3 p. 46-61 online copy
  • Warwickshire Museum, 2008, 'Medieval Britain and Ireland' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 52 online copy
  • Mesqui, Jean, Renn, Derek and Smals Laurens, 2008, ''The Portcullis in Medieval Great Towers: An Impression' Château Gaillard Vol. 23 p. 289-95
  • Morris, R.K., 2007, 'A plan for Kenilworth Castle at Longleat' English Heritage Historical Review Vol. 2 p. 22-35 (plan of c.1566) abstract and online purchase
  • Golding, E., 2007, 'The earl of Leicester's inventory of Kenilworth, c. 1578' English Heritage Historical Review Vol. 2 p. 36-59 online copy
  • Anon, 2005, 'Kenilworth Castle -Recreation of Elizabethan Gardens' Castle Studies Group Newsletter Vol. 7 p. 1
  • Gethin, B., 2005, 'Kenilworth, Kenilworth Castle gatehouse' West Midlands Archaeology Vol. 48 p. 92-3
  • Coutts, C., 2005, 'Kenilworth, Kenilworth Castle keep' West Midlands Archaeology Vol. 48 p. 93
  • Jones, C., 2005, 'Kenilworth, Kenilworth Castle, Gallery Tower' West Midlands Archaeology Vol. 48 p. 93-4
  • 2004-5, 'Kenilworth Castle - Repairs to Gatehouse' Castle Studies Group Bulletin Vol. 18 p. 87 (news report)
  • Bradley, J and Gaimster, M. (eds), 2004, 'Medieval Britain and Ireland in 2003' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 48 p. 290 download copy
  • 2003-4, 'Kenilworth Castle' Castle Studies Group Bulletin Vol. 17 p. 23-26
  • Coppack, Glyn, 1997-98, 'News from English Heritage Properties Midlands Region' Castle Studies Group Newsletter No. 11 p. 20 online copy
  • Ellis, P., 1995, 'The Elizabethan gardens and Leicester's stables at Kenilworth Castle (excavations between 1970 and 1984 by Beric Morley, Peter Brown, and Tim Crump)' Transactions of the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society Vol. 99 p. 81-116
  • Jones, M., 1991, West Midlands Archaeology Vol. 34 p. 81-2
  • Shotton FW., 1934, Transactions of the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society Vol. 58
  • Brown, R.Allen, 1989, 'A note on Kenilworth Castle: the change to royal ownership' in Brown, R.Allen, Castles, conquest and charters: collected papers (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 209–13
  • Thompson, M.W., 1986, 'Associated monasteries and castles in the Middle Ages: a tentative list' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 143 p. 313
  • Crump, T.J., 1985, 'Kenilworth, Kenilworth Castle' West Midlands Archaeology Vol. 28 p. 60
  • Crouch, D., 1982, 'Geoffrey de Clinton and Roger, Earl of Warwick: New Men and Magnates in the Reign of Henry I' Bulletin of the Institute for Historical Research Vol. 55 p. 111-123
  • Webster, L.E. and Cherry, J., 1977, 'Medieval Britain in 1976' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 21 p. 238 download copy
  • Drew, J.H., 1971, 'Kenilworth castle - a discussion of its entrances' Transactions of the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society Vol. 84 p. 148-59
  • Thompson, M.W., 1971, 'Kenilworth Castle' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 123 p. 204-7
  • Thompson, M.W., 1969, 'Kenilworth Castle since 1962' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 13 p. 218-20 download copy
  • (Sunley), 1966, Medieval Archaeology Vol. 10 p. 191 download copy
  • Thompson, M.W., 1965, 'Two levels of the Mere at Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 9 p. 156-61 download copy
  • Thompson, M.W., 1964, 'Reclamation of waste ground for the Pleasance at Kenilworth Castle' Medieval Archaeology Vol. 8 p. 222-3 download copy
  • Rahtz, P., 1963, Transactions of the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society Vol. 81 p. 55-73
  • Drew, J.H., 1963, 'Notes on the water system at Kenilworth Castle' Transactions of the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society Vol. 81 p. 74-7
  • (Knight), 1962-3, Medieval Archaeology Vol. 6-7 p. 324 download copy
  • (Rahtz), 1961, Medieval Archaeology Vol. 5 p. 319-21 download copy
  • Brown, R. Allen, 1959, 'A List of Castles, 1154–1216' English Historical Review Vol. 74 p. 249-280 (Reprinted in Brown, R. Allen, 1989, Castles, conquest and charters: collected papers (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 90-121) view online copy (subscription required)
  • Brown, R. Allen, 1955, 'Royal Castle-building in England 1154-1216' English Historical Review Vol. 70 (Reprinted in Brown, R. Allen, 1989, Castles, conquest and charters: collected papers (Woodbridge: Boydell Press)) p. 19-64
  • Brown, R. Allen, 1953, 'A Note on Kenilworth Castle: The Change to Royal Ownership' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 110 p. 120-5 online copy
  • Chatwin, P.B., 1947-8, 'Castles in Warwickshire' Transactions of the Birmingham and Warwickshire Archaeological Society Vol. 67 p. 18-19 (slight)
  • Harvey, J.H., 1944, 'Side-lights on Kenilworth Castle' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 101 p. 91-107 online copy
  • 1926, The Archaeological Journal Vol. 83 p. 310 online copy
  • Clark, G.T., 1889, 'Contribution towards a complete list of moated mounds or burhs' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 46 p. 197-217 esp. 213 online copy
  • Holliday, 1876, Birmingham and Midlands Institute p. 71-3 (min C16 survey)
  • Clark, G.T., 1875, 'The castle of Kenilworth' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 32 p. 55-85 (reprinted in MMA) online copy
  • Knowles, 1871, Birmingham and Midlands Institute Archaeology Section p. 12-14 (unimportant)
  • Staunton, W., 1854, 'Survey of the Maiden Way, from the Roman Wall into Scotland' The Archaeological Journal Vol. 11 p. 297 online copy

Guide Books

  • Morris, R.K., 2010 (2edn), Kenilworth Castle (London: English Heritage)
  • Morris, R.K., 2006, Kenilworth Castle (London: English Heritage)
  • 1996, Kenilworth Castle (London: English Heritage)
  • Renn, Derek, 1991, Kenilworth Castle (London: English Heritage)
  • Thompson, M.W., 1991 (2edn), Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire. (London: English Heritage)
  • Thompson, M.W., 1985, Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire. (London: English Heritage)
  • Drew, J.H., 1981, Kenilworth Castle Illustrated (Barracuda Press)
  • Thompson, M.W., 1977, Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire (HMSO)
  • Renn, D.F., 1973, Kenilworth Castle (HMSO)
  • Baillie Reynolds, 1948, Kenilworth Castle (HMSO)
  • Knowles, 1872, (Warwick)
  • Brandard, J., (c 1982 first published c 1865) Kenilworth Castle illustrated (Buckingham: Barracuda)

Primary Sources

  • Dugdale, William (Caley, J., Ellis, H. and Bandinel, B. (eds)), 1817-30 (originally pub. 1655-73), Monasticon Anglicanum (London) Vol. 6.1 p. 220-1 online copy
  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1908, Calendar of Charter Rolls Edward I, Edward II 1300-1326 Vol. 3. (HMSO) p. 275- view online copy
  • Hardy, T.D. (ed), 1833, Rotuli litterarum clausarum in turri Londinensi asservati (Record Commission) Vol. 1 p. 422b
  • Pipe Rolls 1184, 1190-3, 1210-15 (see Pipe Roll Society for published references)
  • The Great Roll of the Pipe for the fourth year of the reign of King Henry III : Michaelmas 1220 (Pipe Roll Society 85) p. 30
  • Rickard, John, 2002, The Castle Community. The Personnel of English and Welsh Castles, 1272-1422 (Boydell Press) (lists sources for 1272-1422) p. 454-6
  • SP14/48/26 (Survey of 1609) The National Archives reference (in [Harvey 1944 p. 106 > http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-1132-1/dissemination/pdf/101/101_091_107.pdf])
  • B.M. Cotton MS. Vesp. F. IX, f.302 (Survey of 1603) British Library collection information (in [Harvey 1944 p. 106 > http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-1132-1/dissemination/pdf/101/101_091_107.pdf])
  • SC12/16/22 (Survey of temp. Henry VIII) The National Archives reference (in [Harvey 1944 p. 91-3 > http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-1132-1/dissemination/pdf/101/101_091_107.pdf])
  • E178/4677 (Survey of 6 James I) The National Archives reference

Other

  • Cromwell, T., 2012, Kenilworth Castle, Warwickshire: Survey of Possible Elizabethan Stairs in Southwest Corner Tower of the Keep (English Heritage Research Department Reports series 23-2012)