Lindsey; The Mounts

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameLindsey; The Mounts
Alternative NamesLeleshay; Boar Hills
Historic CountrySuffolk
Modern AuthoritySuffolk
1974 AuthoritySuffolk
Civil ParishLindsey

Lindsey Castle, also known as Boar Hills and covering an area of about 5 acres, is unusual as the mound, 12ft high, lies within the south end of the bailey around which is a horse-shoe shaped moat. The north end of the court is defended partly by the moat and partly by low lying marsh, and a high rampart, formed of soil thrown up when the moat was made, lies within the court. At some later period additional fortifications were added on the south side which include two triangular-shaped baileys protected by ramparts and a moat. In the northern and larger one is a small mound forming part of the escarpment (PSIAH, 1908). The feature comprises a large low motte strongly defended on all sides particularly to the southeast where the earthworks are carried up the adjacent hillside. The site is divided by a stream entering from the south which also fed the pond to the north, now a marshy area. No traces of building are to be seen either on the motte or in the bailey (PastScape–ref. Field Investigators Comments-F1 BHS 13-JAN-70).

Gatehouse Comments

A C13 chapel, strongly associated with the castle, but outside the fortifications survives to the NE. Lindsey is a parish of dispersed settlement, with the small, towerless parish church 800m N of the castle.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTL979441
Latitude52.0601196289063
Longitude0.886579990386963
Eastings597990
Northings244110
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of East Anglia (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 81
  • Martin, Edward, 1999 (3edn), 'Medieval Castles' in Dymond, David and Martin, Edward (eds) An Historical Atlas of Suffolk (Lavenham) p. 58-9
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 239 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 458
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 223
  • Wall, 1911, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Suffolk Vol. 1 p. 601-2 (plan) online copy
  • Redstone, 1908, Memories of Old Suffolk (London) p. 33-4

Journals

  • Liddiard, Robert, 2006, 'Early castles in the Medieval Landscape of East Anglia' Château Gaillard Vol. 22 p. 243-50
  • Redstone, V.B., 1908, 'Lindsey Church and Chapel' Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History Vol. 13.2 p. 243-7 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Hardy, T.D. (ed.), 1844, Rotuli de Liberate ac de Misis et Praestitis Regnante Johanne (Record Commission) p. 104 online copy