Redmarshall Rectors Tower

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are no visible remains

NameRedmarshall Rectors Tower
Alternative NamesRedmarshall Castle
Historic CountryDurham
Modern AuthorityStockton on Tees
1974 AuthorityCleveland
Civil ParishRedmarshall

In 1461 the rector was pardoned for building a crenellated tower to his rectory-house. Hutchinson says the tower was still standing and Longstaffe states the "towers" were destroyed about 1833. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

Clearly described as a crenellated tower before its destruction (Longstaffe's mention of 'towers' seems to be a typographical slip). Most probably located where the Rectory House (of fashionable redbrick built 1845) is just east of the church, at the given map reference.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceNZ386212
Latitude54.5845413208008
Longitude-1.40362000465393
Eastings438640
Northings521200
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 54° 35' 4.59" Longitude -1° 24' 13.03"

Redmarshall Church 26022017 134300.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 54° 35' 4.59" Longitude -1° 24' 13.03"

Redmarshall Church-2 26022017 134329.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 54° 35' 4.59" Longitude -1° 24' 13.03"

Redmarshall Church-3 26022017 134344.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 54° 35' 4.59" Longitude -1° 24' 13.03"

Redmarshall Rectory 26022017 134522.Jpg

View full Sized Image

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles and Tower Houses of County Durham (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 56
  • Jackson, M.J., 1996, Castles of Durham and Cleveland (Carlisle) p. 50
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 139n3, 159 (slight)
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 138
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1928, VCH Durham Vol. 3 p. 320 online transcription
  • Bates, C.J., 1891, Border Holds of Northumberland (London and Newcastle: Andrew Reid) p. xv (Also published as the whole of volume 14 (series 2) of Archaeologia Aeliana view online)
  • Surtees, R., 1816-40 (1972 Reprint), The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham (London) Vol. 3 p. 72 online transcription
  • Hutchinson, Wm, 1785-94, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham Vol. 3 p. 195 online copy

Journals

  • 1901, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (ser2) Vol. 10 p. 107 online copy
  • Bates, C.J., 1891, 'Border Holds of Northumberland' Archaeologia Aeliana (ser2) Vol. 14 p. xv online copy
  • Longstaffe, W.H.D., 1862, Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and Northumberland Vol. 1 p. 5 online copy

Primary Sources

  • Dur. Rec. cl. 3, R. 48, m. 10, no. 49
  • 1874 The Thirty-fifth Annual Report of Deputy Keeper of the Public Record Ap. 87