Wollaston Mount

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameWollaston Mount
Alternative NamesWoolaston
Historic CountryShropshire
Modern AuthorityShropshire
1974 AuthorityShropshire
Civil ParishWollaston

Although the eastern and southern sides of the Wollaston motte and bailey castle immediately west of St John's Church have been disturbed by the constuction of buildings since the 18th century, it survives well and is a good example of this class of monument. The remains of the structures that stood on the motte and within the bailey are expected to survive, which together with the associated artefacts and organic remains will provide valuable evidence about the activities and the lifestyle of the inhabitants. Organic remains surviving under the motte and the bailey banks, and within the ditches, will also provide information about the changes to the local environment and the use of the land before and after the castle was constructed.

The monument remains a prominent feature within the landscape and its importance is further enhanced by its proximity to the motte castle near Bretchel.

The monument includes the surviving extent of the earthwork and buried remains of a motte and bailey castle, situated in an area of gently undulating land at the top of a south west facing slope. From this location there are commanding views of the surrounding area in all directions. The castle lies 860m north west of another motte castle to the south west of Bretchel, which is the subject of a separate scheduling.

The flat-topped, steep sided oval motte measures approximately 30m by 34m at its base, 9m by 12m across the top and stands about 8m high. It is surrounded by a ditch, the northern half of which survives as a visible earthwork up to 1m deep. A cottage, which is not included in the scheduling, has been inserted into the tail of the southern part of the motte and the ditch. The bailey lies immediately north of the ditch encircling the motte. Internally, it is approximately 60m long and up to 30m wide and is defined on the eastern side by a scarp 1.2m high and on the north western and south western sides by low banks up to 0.5m high

Although no longer visible at ground level, a ditch approximately 3m wide, surrounds these banks. It has become infilled over the years but survives as a buried feature. (Scheduling Report)

Gatehouse Comments

The very small Domesday manor of Willavestune_ was held by Roger fitzCorbet but was sub-tenanted by the Picot family for a knight's fee at Caus castle.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSJ328122
Latitude52.7040481567383
Longitude-2.99447989463806
Eastings332890
Northings312290
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Duckers, Peter and Anne, 2006, Castles of Shropshire (Stroud: Tempus) p. 186-7
  • Salter, Mike, 2001 (2edn), The Castles and Moated Mansions of Shropshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 88 (slight)
  • Jackson, M.J.,1988, Castles of Shropshire (Shrewsbury: Shropshire Libraries) p. 67
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 432 (Wollaston No. 1)
  • Rees, W., 1933, Historical map of South Wales and the Borders in the C14
  • Wall (after Downham), 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Shropshire Vol. 1 p. 401-2 (plan)
  • Eyton, R.W., 1858, Antiquities of Shropshire (London: John Russell Smith) Vol. 7 p. 113- (tenurial history) online copy

Journals

  • King, D.J.C. and Spurgeon, C.J., 1965, 'The mottes in the Vale of Montgomery' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 114 p. 81-2
  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124
  • Chitty, Lily, 1949, 'Subsidiary Castle Sites West of Shrewsbury' Transactions of the Shropshire Archaeological Society Vol. 53 p. 83-90

Other

  • Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission, nd, Scheduled Monument Report on SAM 14322