Brockton Castle Mound

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameBrockton Castle Mound
Alternative NamesBrocton
Historic CountryShropshire
Modern AuthorityShropshire
1974 AuthorityShropshire
Civil ParishShipton

The motte at Brockton survives well and remains a good example of its class. Although the area once occupied by the bailey is now largely submerged beneath the waters of a pond, a length of the northern bailey bank survives well and, despite some modification, remains a good sample of the original bailey earthworks. Both the motte and the northern rampart will retain valuable archaeological information relating to the construction and occupation of the site. Environmental evidence pertaining to the landscape in which the monument was constructed will survive sealed beneath the motte and the surviving section of the bailey bank and in the ditch fill. Such motte castles provide valuable information concerning the settlement pattern and social organisation of the countryside during the medieval period.

The monument includes the remains of a motte and bailey castle in a valley bottom adjacent to the village of Brockton on the north side of Corve Dale. It includes a well defined motte of rock and earth, roughly oval in plan with dimensions of 25m north to south by 20m east to west and up to 2.1m above the surrounding ground surface. A ditch averaging 8m wide and 1.5m deep surrounds the eastern half of the motte. The western half of the ditch is now submerged beneath a large pond which lies up to the motte margin. A bailey, which would have protected the domestic buildings of the castle, is believed to have been attached to the west side of the motte. This area is now submerged beneath the water of a partly embanked pond some 60m east to west by 40m north to south and is not included in the scheduling. There is a length of bank which curves from the north side of the motte towards the north west for 60m. Although it has been strengthened to act as a dam for the pond, its lower levels are believed to represent the northern side of the bailey. This is included within the scheduling. (Scheduling Report)

Gatehouse Comments

Located on a crossroad a one end of a small pass through the Wenlock Edge. Record in Domesday as held by a sub-tenant Richard the butler (a Frenchman). In 1240 held for half a knight's fee.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSO580936
Latitude52.5392608642578
Longitude-2.62036991119385
Eastings358020
Northings293670
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Duckers, Peter and Anne, 2006, Castles of Shropshire (Stroud: Tempus) p. 36-7
  • Salter, Mike, 2001 (2edn), The Castles and Moated Mansions of Shropshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 87 (slight)
  • Jackson, M.J.,1988, Castles of Shropshire (Shrewsbury: Shropshire Libraries) p. 8
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 429
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Wall (after Downham), 1908, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Shropshire Vol. 1 p. 398
  • Eyton, R.W., 1857, Antiquities of Shropshire (London: John Russell Smith) Vol. 4 p. 109-113 (tenurial history) online copy

Journals

  • Hogg, A.H.A. and King, D.J.C., 1963, 'Early castles in Wales and the Marches: a preliminary list' Archaeologia Cambrensis Vol. 112 p. 77-124

Other

  • English Heritage, 1995, Scheduling Papers (Revision, 19/05/1995)
  • Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission, 1986, Scheduled Monument Report on SAM 20813