Uppingham Castle Hill
Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)
There are earthwork remains
|Name||Uppingham Castle Hill
|Civil Parish||Beaumont Chase
Medieval motte and bailey castle surviving as an earthwork; supposed outer bailey traced as a cropmark. The motte is 8 to 10 metres tall from the base of the ditch and has a flat top approximately 12 metres across. The motte ditch is semi-circular in shape and is 6 to 8 metres wide. There are no signs of slight banks at the two ends before the ground slopes away to the west. The outer bank of the bailey survives as a very low earthwork some 50 metres to the east of the motte. The castle was probably built in Stephen's reign (1135-54). (PastScape)
Castle Hill, Beaumont Chase, stands at the end of a steeply sided natural promontory. It consists of a large conical mound with a deep ditch separating it from the bailey to the east. The mound or motte is 8-10m tall from the base of the ditch and has a flat top approximately 12m across. The motte ditch is semi-circular in shape and is 6-8m wide. There are signs of slight banks at the two ends before the ground slopes away to the west. The outer bank of the bailey survives as a very low earthwork some 50m to the east of the motte. Beaumont Chase is identified as being a typical example of a post Conquest motte and bailey site. The hill on which the motte and bailey was built is mentioned in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 1046AD and referred to as Martin's Hoe. (Scheduling Report)
The site is a natural promontory with the motte at the point and a bailey ditch cutting it off from the east. To the south, west and north the natural slopes suffice. The bailey has long been ploughed and only suvives faintly. The motte is overgrown but well preserved.
104 sherds of pottery were retrieved from the site in 1976/7. The sherds were re-identified in 2006. Not all of the sherds appeared to be medieval (some may be Roman?). The report is in the parish file.
The Scheduled Monument description says that Beaumont Chase is identified as being a typical example of a post Conquest motte and bailey site
The hill on which the motte and bailey was built is mentioned in an Anglo-Saxon charter of 1046 and referred to as Martin's Hoe.
VCH says that the castle was probably built during Stephen's reign (1135-1154).
It has been suggested that the site is related to prehistoric cropmarks in the area rather than being a Norman castle.
Fieldwalking in 2010 recorded 65 sherds of late Saxon/early medieval pottery, concentrated in the area near the castle. The material closest to the castle tended to be earlier Stamford ware rather than Stanion/Lyveden. A coin of Stephen was also found. (Leicestershire and Rutland HER)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SK849004