Essendine Castle

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Other/Unknown)

There are earthwork remains

NameEssendine Castle
Alternative Names
Historic CountryRutland
Modern AuthorityRutland
1974 AuthorityLeicestershire
Civil ParishEssendine

Essendine Castle is a large fortified manor site with a fishpond and an ajoining enclosure containing a church. A further set of fishponds originally lay to the south of this, but were destroyed in the last fifty years. The moat is very large, the outer dimensions being about 100m square. The ditch is 30m wide on the western side, up to 40m on the north, and 3-4m deep. The moat island occupies an area of 55m x 50m. The adjoining fishpond, of roughly triangular shape, measures about 60 x 30m in maximum dimension, and has a break in the bank connecting it to the moat ditch where some stonework is showing. A substantial stream called the West Glen River flows from north to south on the eastern side of the site which is bounded by an earth bank. The outer enclosure to the south side is rectangular, measuring 120 x 50m in overall dimension and has access via a bridge. The church is of Norman origin. Historical records indicate that the medieval complex was probably built by the Busseys or Robert de Vipont at the end of the 12th or early 13th centuries. It is described in an account of 1417. The strong defensive nature of the site, and its similarities to Woodhead Castle 5km to the east, suggest a variation on a ringwork. (Scheduling Report)

Gatehouse Comments

Creighton suggests the church originated as a castle chapel and replace an earlier church at TF14671314.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTF049128
Latitude52.7029800415039
Longitude-0.448139995336533
Eastings504910
Northings312800
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Cantor, Leonard, 2003, The Scheduled Ancient Monuments of Leicestershire and Rutland (Leicester: Kairos Press) p. 31
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of the East Midlands (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 97
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 138
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 417
  • Hartley, R. F., 1983, The Mediaeval Earthworks of Rutland, A survey (Leicester) p. 15, 18
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1935, VCH Rutland Vol. 2 p. 250 online copy
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Wall, C.J., 1908, 'Ancient Earthworks' in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Rutland Vol. 1 p. 113-4 online copy
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1897, Castles of England Vol. 1 p. 420-1 online copy
  • Blore, T., 1811, The History and Antiquities of the county of Rutland Vol. 1 (Stamford: Newcomb) p. 201

Journals

  • Creighton, O.H., 2000, 'The Medieval Castles of Rutland: Field Archaeology and Landscape History' Rutland Record Vol. 20 p. 415-24
  • Creighton, O.H., 1999, 'Early Castles in the Medieval Landscape of Rutland' Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society Vol. 73 p. 19-33 (plan) online copy