Wellow Village Defences

Has been described as a Certain Urban Defence

There are earthwork remains

NameWellow Village Defences
Alternative NamesGorge Dyke; George Dyke
Historic CountryNottinghamshire
Modern AuthorityNottinghamshire
1974 AuthorityNottinghamshire
Civil ParishWellow

Possibly part of a village enclosure (VCH). "Wellow" referred to circa 1278 as Welhagh or Welhah. "..." a hedge, fence "hence a piece of ground enclosed or fenced in". (Mutschmann) "George Dyke" referred to circa 1840 as Gorge Dyke. (EPNS) The remains of this earthwork comprise, in the main, a broad ditch, with in places the remains of an inner bank. Breaks can be attributed to roads, some modern, levelling in gardens, and silting up. On the N, NE and SE the feature is entirely man made, whilst on the W a stream course has been utilised and probably deepened. Barley states "The monks of Rufford were able to dispose of Cratley and Inkersall, (villages) and the displaced men founded the new village of Wellow, the houses laid out round a large triangular green, surrounded by a bank and ditch". (Field Investigators Comments–F1 BHS 04-APR-74). (PastScape)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK672662
Latitude53.1874198913574
Longitude-0.995639979839325
Eastings467200
Northings366200
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Creighton, O.H. and Higham, R.A., 2005, Medieval Town Walls (Stroud: Tempus) p. 79
  • Bond, C.J., 1987, 'Anglo-Saxon and Medieval Defences' in Schofield, J. and Leech, R. (eds) Urban Archaeology in Britain (CBA Research Report 61) p. 92-116 online copy
  • Barley, M.W., 1966, 'Medieval Period' in Edwards, K.C. (ed), Nottingham and its Region (Nottingham) p. 210
  • Mutschmann, H., 1913, Place Names of Nottingham p. 148
  • Stevenson, W., 1906, in Page, Wm (ed), VCH Nottinghamshire Vol. 1 p. 314 online copy

Other

  • Gill Stroud, 2001, Nottinghamshire Extensive Urban Survey Archaeological Assessment Wellow (Nottinghamshire County Council for English Hertage) online copy
  • Brown, A., n.d., Earthworks east of village, Wellow ... Proof of Evidence. Unpubl. report, English Heritage