Newark Castle

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte), and also as a Certain Masonry Castle, and also as a Certain Palace (Royal/Bishop)

There are major building remains

NameNewark Castle
Alternative NamesNiwerc upon the Fosseway; Niwerca; Newercham
Historic CountryNottinghamshire
Modern AuthorityNottinghamshire
1974 AuthorityNottinghamshire
Civil ParishNewark

Remains of castle. Gatehouse, including chapel and lodging, curtain wall and north west tower built for Alexander, Bishop of Lincoln, c1133-1148. South west tower later C12. North west tower and curtain wall remodelled and river front central tower built, probably for Bishop Henry de Burghersh, c1320-1340. Hall undercroft mid C14. Hall altered and river front oriel window added for Bishop Thomas Rotherham, 1471-1480. Gatehouse, hall windows, central and south west towers altered and refenestrated for residence for Earl of Rutland, 1581. Slighted and left as a roofless ruin following siege of 1646. Restored 1845-1848 by A Salvin. Purchased and restored by Newark corporation, 1889. Restored and consolidated by DoE, 1979-1990. Squared dressed stone and ashlar with ashlar dressings. Oblong plan with the south east side demolished. Gatehouse, north west tower, river front, central turret, south west tower, curtain wall, undercroft. Ashlar faced square gatehouse, 3 storeys, has corner pilasters to north east entrance front, and mid C19 buttresses flanking the central gateway. Double-rebated round headed opening with dogtooth on hood mould. Above, two 2-light segment headed windows, late C16, in blocked and altered C12 openings. Above again, similar fenestration with a single 2-light cross mullioned window. South west side has a plain gateway and above it a rectangular opening to the right and above again, a central round headed opening. South east side has a polygonal stair turret with a round headed door at bottom and top. Above, to its left, a late C16 3-light window and above it a similar window, both with four centred arched heads. North east curtain wall has a garderobe chute to right, and above, to left, various broken openings, 2 of them with four centred arches. Polygonal north west tower has a battered plinth and small loops on 2 stages

North west face has a cross mullioned window with panel tracery and above it, a segment headed mullioned window, both restored. Interior has a bottle dungeon and a rectangular dungeon to west, adjoining the undercroft. River front has a central canted turret, 2 stages, with plinth. Single broken opening and above it, a restored 3-light cross mullioned window. Interior has a dungeon reached by a spiral stair. Curtain wall, 3 storeys plus basement, has remains of crenellation to right. To left, 3 unglazed windows, early C14, originally lighting the halls. To their right, a small mullioned window with cusped heads. Above the left window, a 5-light and a 2-light cross mullioned window. To their left, a late C15 2-stage canted oriel window with 3 traceried openings and above, an untraceried segment headed opening. Interior has a traceried vault. To the left of the oriel, a 4-light cross mullioned window with panel tracery and above it, a larger traceried 6-light window by Salvin. Below and to the left of the oriel, a double rebated round headed watergate. To the right, at basement level, a double garderobe chute. Rectangular south west tower, 3 stages, has battered plinth. To north west, single rectangular openings arranged one above another, that next to the top with C20 glazing. South west side has a 2-light mullioned window with a square opening below and a rectangular window above. Inner face has a reconstructed roll-moulded round headed doorway in the return angle, with shafts. Above, south and east faces have doors to the wall walk. East face has a four centred arched double lancet with hood mould. South face has a single C20 door on 2 floors. Consolidated remains of south west curtain wall have brick relieving arches. Early C14 undercroft, 4x2 bays, has octagonal piers without capitals and chamfered ribs to plain pointed barrel vault. In the undercroft, the remains of the doorway to the early C12 chapel. Because of its strategic situation at the crossing of the Trent and the north road, Newark castle has often been used as a staging point on royal journeys and as a rallying point. Built by the Bishop of Lincoln, it was taken into royal hands as early as 1135 by Stephen and restored to the Bishop only in 1218, after John had died there in 1216. Edward II took control of the castle in 1322, and it passed into the hands of Henry VIII in 1547. It was held for Charles I during the Civil War, and besieged in 1644 and 1646. It was also visited by Henry II (1180), Henry VII (1487) and James I (1603). In spite of its importance, the castle is not an outstanding example of fortification, the Trent being its main strength. Its defences were not updated after the early C14, and were allowed to deteriorate from the mid C16. (Listing description)

Ibi quidem construxerat episcopus super flumen Trente in loco amoenissimo vernantissimum florida compositione castellum. There was built, in the bishop's place on the River Trent, the finest Springtime flowery composition of a castle. (Henry of Huntingdon translation by Philip Davis)

Gatehouse Comments

Medieval motte and bailey castle built in about 1130 with much rebuilding and alterations carried out in C13. The gatehouse, part of the curtain wall and a tower are still visible. Excavations of the castle were carried out between 1954-1956 and in 1972. It is suggested the castle stands on the site of an earlier Saxon manorial centre.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK796540
Latitude53.0775985717773
Longitude-0.812609970569611
Eastings479630
Northings354070
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

AJH2207_IGP2749

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

AJH2207_IGP2754

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

AJH2207_IGP2756

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0459

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0460

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0461

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0462

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0464

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0465

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0467

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0468

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0469

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0470

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0471

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0472

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0475

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0476

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0477

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0478

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0479

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0481

View full Sized Image
Photograph by Andrew Herrett. All rights reserved

IMGP0483

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6051.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6053

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6054

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6056

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6063

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6064

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6067.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6071

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6075.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6077

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6078.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6080.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6082.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6084.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6094

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6095.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

IMGP6096

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Castle 06032011 175436.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Castle-2 06032011 175506.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Castle-3 04032011 125025.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Castle-4 04032011 125213.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Castle-5 06032011 175624.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Castle-6 04032011 125635.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent 23072012 021126.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-10 22072012 173007.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-2 23072012 021134.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-3 23072012 021139.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-4 23072012 021443.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-5 23072012 021625.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-6 23072012 021635.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-7 23072012 022222.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-8 23072012 023336.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Philip Davis. All Rights Reserved

Laitude 53° 4' 39.08" Longitude 0° 48' 45.37"

Newark Upon Trent-9 23072012 023945.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

Newark.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

Newark2.Jpg

View full Sized Image
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

Newark3.Jpg

View full Sized Image (Panoramic images open in a new window)
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

Newark4.Jpg

View full Sized Image (Panoramic images open in a new window)

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Goodall, John, 2011, The English Castle 1066-1650 (Yale University Press) p. 103, 108, 231, 391
  • Purton, P.F., 2009, A History of the Early Medieval Siege c. 450-1220 (Woodbridge: The Boydell Press) p. 269, 326
  • Wright, James, 2008, Castles of Nottinghamshire (Nottinghamshire County Council) p. 68
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of the East Midlands (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 88-91
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 270-2
  • < >Marshall, Pamela, 1998, 'The Twelth-Century Castle at Newark' in Jennifer Alexander (ed), Southwell and Nottinghamshire: Medieval Art, Architecture and Industry (Leeds: British Archaeological Association Conference Transactions 21) < >
  • Thompson, M.W., 1998, Medieval bishops' houses in England and Wales (Aldershot: Ashgate Publishing) p. 97-9, 178
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 201-2
  • Philip Dixon et al, 1994, Newark Castle Studies
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 380
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 264
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus; revised by Elizabeth Williamson, 1979, Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire (London) p. 188-190
  • Todd, M., 1977, 'Newark-on-Trent' in Archaeological Excavations 1976 (HMSO) p. 144
  • Renn, D.F., 1973 (2 edn.), Norman Castles of Britain (London: John Baker) p. 252-3
  • Toy, Sidney, 1953, The Castles of Great Britain (Heinemann) p. 81
  • Harvey, Alfred, 1911, Castles and Walled Towns of England (London: Methuen and Co)
  • Blagg, T.M., 1911 (2edn), A Guide to Newark
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 1 p. 449-54 online copy
  • Timbs, J. and Gunn, A., 1872, Abbeys, Castles and Ancient Halls of England and Wales Vol. 3 (London) p. 38-40 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 224-5 online copy
  • Buck, Samuel and Nathaniel, 1774, Buck's Antiquities (London) Vol. 2 p. 226
  • Grose, Francis, 1785 (new edn orig 1756), Antiquities of England and Wales (London) Vol. 4 p. 166-8

Antiquarian

Journals

  • Derek Renn, 2016, 'A return to the burh-geat' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 30 p. 167
  • Richard Nevell, 2014-15, 'Castles as prisons' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 28 p. 203-224
  • Guy, Neil, 2011-12, 'The Rise of the Anti-clockwise Newel Stair' Castle Studies Group Journal Vol. 25 p. 113-174 online copy
  • Speight, Sarah, 2008, 'Castles as Past Culture: Living with Castles in the Post-Medieval World' Cha^teau Gaillard Vol. 23 p. 385-94 (slight)
  • Marshall, P., 2006, 'Three urban castles and their communities in the east midlands: Lincoln, Nottingham and Newark' Château Gaillard Vol. 22 p. 259-65
  • Marshall, Pamela, 2004, Improving the image: the transformation of Bailey into Courtyard at the 12th-century Bishops' castle at Newark, Nottinghamshire'' Château Gaillard Vol. 21 p. 203-214
  • Marshall, Pamela, 2000-2001, 'Refurbishment at Newark Castle' Castle Studies Group Newsletter No. 14 p. 25+26 online copy
  • Marshall, Pamela, 1998-99, 'More Digging at Newark Castle (SK796540)' Castle Studies Group Newsletter No. 12 p. 31-2 online copy
  • Samuels, John, 1998 March, 'Newark - castle' Current Archaeology Vol. 156 p. 458-
  • Marshall, Pamela, 1994, 'Recent excavations at Newark Castle, Nottinghamshire' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 98 p. 49-57
  • Marshall, Pamela, 1993-94, 'Recent Work at Newark Castle' Castle Studies Group Newsletter No. 7 p. 21-23 online copy
  • Allen Brown, 1989, 'A list of Castles 1154-1216' in Brown, R.Allen, Castles, conquest and charters: collected papers (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 90-121
  • Todd, M., 1977, 'Excavations on the medieval defences of Newark, 1976' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 81 p. 41-54
  • Courtney, T.W., 1973, 'Newark Castle excavation 1972' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 77 p. 34-40
  • Barley, M.W., 1956, 'Newark Castle excavations 1953-6' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 60 p. 20-33
  • Perks, J.C., 1939, 'Newark Castle and the Great Tower' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 43 p. 22-26
  • Braun, Hugh, 1935, 'Notes on Newark Castle' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 39 p. 53-91 (plans sections) online copy
  • Walker, 1933, Journal of the British Archaeological Association Vol. 39 p. 85-91
  • Trollope, 1871, Association of Architectural Societies Vol. 11 p. 48-57 (unimportant)
  • King, Edward, 1782, 'Sequel to the observations on Ancient Castles' Archaeologia Vol. 6 p. 316-21 (Reprinted in Ancient Castles )

Guide Books

  • < >Marshall, P. and Samuals, J., 1997, Guardian of the Trent: the story of Newark Castle (Newark) < >
  • 1980, Newark Castle; a short guide (Newark)

Primary Sources

  • Johnson, C. and Cronne, H.A. (eds), 1956, Regesta Regum Anglo-Normannorum, 1066–1154 Vol. 2 Regesta Henrici Primi 1100-1135 p. 264 no. 1770 online copy
  • Foster, C.W. (ed), 1931, Registrum Antiquissimum of Lincoln p. 23, 33-5, 38, 191 online copy
  • Arnold, Thomas (ed), 1879, Henrici Archidiaconi Huntendunensis Historia Anglorum (London: Rolls series 74) p. 266 online copy
  • Rickard, John, 2002, The Castle Community. The Personnel of English and Welsh Castles, 1272-1422 (Boydell Press) (lists sources for 1272-1422) p. 379-80
  • E317 Notts./19 (Survey of Commonwealth) The National Archives reference
  • SP14/49/82 (Survey of 1609) The National Archives reference
  • SP14/54/50 i (Survey of 1610) The National Archives reference

Other

  • Fradley, Michael, 2011, The Old in the New: Urban Castle Imposition in Anglo-Norman England, AD1050-1150 (University of Exeter PhD Thesis) available via EThOS
  • Payne, Naomi, 2003, The medieval residences of the bishops of Bath and Wells, and Salisbury (PhD Thesis University of Bristol) Appendix B: List of Medieval Bishop's Palaces in England and Wales (available via EThOS)
  • Creighton, O.H., 1998, Castles and Landscapes: An Archaeological Survey of Yorkshire and the East Midlands (PhD Thesis University of Leicester) p. 195, 200-2, 485-6 online copy