Beauvale Priory

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameBeauvale Priory
Alternative NamesBeauvale Charterhouse; Beauvale Abbey
Historic CountryNottinghamshire
Modern AuthorityNottinghamshire
1974 AuthorityNottinghamshire
Civil ParishGreasley

The Carthusian monastery at Beauvale was founded in 1343 by Nicholas de Cantiloup, Lord of Ilkeston, it was dissolved in 1539. The remains incorporate part of the nave of the monastic church and attached to this is a three storey building identified as the prior's lodgings. To the east of the church is a sandstone wall with a single doorway with late medieval mouldings, that may represent part of the precinct wall. At the southeast corner of the site is a building identified as the gatehouse which is incorporated into later farm buildings. To the west of the church some of the monastic cells have been revealed by excavation. The present farmhouse Beauvale Abbey Farm sits on the line of the eastern cloistral range but appears from cursory inspection to be of post-medieval date. Surrounding the standing buildings are the well preserved earthwork remains of the monastic house. To the south of the monastery are two perched ponds. Enclosing the western and northern sides of the site is a large L-shaped earthwork bank, which is probably a garden feature postdating the monastery. To the west of the church the line of the cloister is represented by the modern orchard hedge. The line of the monastic cells along the north side of the cloister may be clearly traced as earthworks as may a few cells along the west side. The southern side of the cloister has been disturbed by the passage of farm traffic and the cell divisions are less easy to trace. In the field to the east of the church a low bank probably marks the former limit of the precinct enclosure. In the fields surrounding the monastery are the remains of ridge and furrow cultivation. Subsequent to the dissolution the priory was converted into a private residence with gardens and later into a farmhouse. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

C14 three storey tower attached to church was priors lodging of Carthusian monastery founded in 1343 by Nicholas de Cantiloup, Lord of Ilkeston. Like most towers of this sort, certainly in the midlands, built more as an expression of status than as a defensive building although not without function for domestic security from thieves.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK492490
Latitude53.0363082885742
Longitude-1.26740002632141
Eastings449230
Northings349040
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved
Photo by Andrew Herrett All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Wright, James, 2008, Castles of Nottinghamshire (Nottinghamshire County Council) p. 32
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of the East Midlands (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 84
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 307
  • Marcombe D and Hamilton J, (eds), 1998, Sanctity and Scandal. The Medieval Religious Houses of Nottinghamshire p. 73-6
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus; revised by Elizabeth Williamson, 1979, Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire (London) p. 66-7
  • Knowles, David and Hadcock, R Neville, 1971, Medieval religious houses in England and Wales (Longman) p. 134
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1910, VCH Nottinghamshire Vol. 2 p. 105-9 online copy

Journals

  • Boulay Hill, Rev. A Du, and Gill, Harry, 1908, 'Beauvale Charterhouse' Transactions of the Thoroton Society of Nottinghamshire Vol. 12 p. 69-71, 87, 89 online copy

Other

  • Historic England, 2015, Heritage at Risk East Midlands Register 2015 (London: Historic England) p. 63 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2014, Heritage at Risk Register 2014 East Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 63 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2013, Heritage at Risk Register 2013 East Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 62 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2012, Heritage at Risk Register 2012 East Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 70 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 East Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 64 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2010, Heritage at Risk Register 2010 East Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 17 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2009, Heritage at Risk Register 2009 East Midlands (London: English Heritage) p. 62 online copy