Has been described as a Possible Bastle, and also as a Possible Pele Tower
There are no visible remains
|Alternative Names||Healy Hall; Hely
Robert Ormston (1789-1882) took down the old peel house and, partly on the old foundations, erected the present farmhouse. Illustration of Healey House about 1819 shows an L-shaped building. One wing is of two stories and the other part apparently of two stories and an attic. The drawing is too small for architectural features to be recognised but in one place the wall of the larger wing appears to incorporate a stepped buttress. On the exposed gable of this larger wing is a small battlemented turret, carried either on corbels, or forming a small machicolated projection (Hodgson 1902).
The present hall is modern with no visible traces of the !peel!. Local enquiries revealed no traditions of a tower or the existence of any significant field names. There is no mention of a tower in the Border Surveys of 1415 and 1542. Possibly the 'peel' was the type of fortified house known as a bastle, of which there are many in Northumberland. They probably date from the latter part of the 16th century (F1 EG 31-MAY-1956). (Northumberland HER)
House, 1834 for Robert Ormston, extended in late C19. Ashlar, except for squared stone to rear; slate roofs. Irregular plan. Tudor Gothic style. Entrance (east) front 2 storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, moulded 1st floor string. Central bay has part-glazed door under 4-centred moulded arch in square frame, with hoodmoulded stepped over foiled panel above, and flanking narrow sashes; 12-pane sash window over. Gabled flanking bays set slightly forward have bay windows with paired 12-pane sashes and single 12-pane sashes above. Narrow lancets in gables, which are coped, with finials and elaborate kneelers. All windows in hollow-chamfered surrounds, those on 1st floor with hoodmoulds. Moulded eaves cornice in centre bay. 2 stepped and corniced ridge stacks, with triple conjoined shafts.
Left return shows similar fenestration; central gabled bay, with projecting gabled wing on left
Right return: projecting late C19 gabled wing on right, with 2-storey bay window.
Interior. Re-used C16 or C17 segmental-arched fireplace in former kitchen. (Listed Building Report)
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law
Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||NZ004578