Snape Castle

Has been described as a Certain Masonry Castle

There are major building remains

NameSnape Castle
Alternative Names
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishSnape With Thorp

Snape Castle. Castle now 2 houses. Dating from c1430, mostly reconstructed in the C16 by Sir Thomas Cecil; C18 alterations. Rubblestone and ashlar with lead roofs. Rectangular in plan with a tower at each corner. All but the south side is ruinous. Chapel to south-east. North front: towers almost full height but without floors, the eastern tower has lost almost all parapet and south-west corner of wall. South front: 9 bays, end bays towers, that to left 3 storeys, that to right of 4 storeys and bays 2, 3, 4 and 5 are 2 storeys, bays 6, 7 and 8 are 3 storeys. Bay 5: early C18 round-headed panelled door flanked by pilasters in flat-headed architrave with cornice. Swept shouldered panel above has crest in round architrave and above this an 18- pane sash in architrave with double keystone. Bay 2 breaks forward as an oriel window on 1st floor and has a sash with glazing bars in chamfered surround. Bays 3 and 4 16-pane sashes in chamfered surrounds to ground floor. 24-pane sashes in architraves with cills and double keystones above. Bays 6 and 7 tripartite sashes with chamfered surrounds to ground and 1st floors. 3-light mullion and transom window to 2nd floor of bay 6. Inserted door between bays 6 and 7. Bay 8 breaks forward slightly with C20 half- glazed door and 4-pane sash above. The right tower has a 16-pane sash in chamfered stone surround to ground and 1st floors. 2nd floor has a side- sliding sash in chamfered surround. 3rd floor: moulded band, blind 3-light mullion-and-transom window. Rising out of this bay at corner of east tower is late-C16 clock tower, moulded band below embattled parapet continues across towers. The rear: main range has 2 4-light mullion and transom windows rising through 2 floors representing Sir Thomas Cecil's great chamber. Left return (west): a full height canted bay to west tower

In wall to left of this fragments of a large Elizabethan chimneypiece with caryatids, a central round-headed carriage opening and niche to right with ashlar surround. Right return: chapel projects on right of tower with vaulted stores to north. Connecting north-east tower, having chamfered pointed-arched doorways and chamfered 2-light window openings. Chapel: 2 storeys, 2 bays. Chapel on 1st floor with stores below. Offset diagonal buttress at east (right) end. Chapel has 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and 4-centre arches to north, south and east sides, moulded band, embattled parapet. West end of chapel has a 2-storey porch with 4-centre arched board door under hoodmould in north side and steps inside leading to west entrance of chapel. Interior of chapel: ceiling painted by Verrio but completely ruined. Sculpture: C18 oval series of Dutch religious reliefs and 2 C18 statues to east wall, 2 C18 statues to west wall. East tower has a large kitchen fireplace arch to ground floor and a late C16 fireplace to top floor. Main entrance has early C18 open- well staircase with thick turned balusters. 1st floor has late C16 plaster ceiling with Geometrical patterns on thin ribs. Panelling and doors of early C18. Oak spiral stair in clock tower. History: built on the site of an old manor house in 1430 by 1st Lord Latimer of Snape. Occupied in 1483 by Richard III's mother and wife, and from 1532-42 by Catherine Parr wife of 3rd Lord Latimer of Snape before her marriage to Henry VIII. The 4th Lord Latimer's daughter and heir Dorothy married Sir Thomas Cecil of Burghley, Lincolnshire who enlarged the Castle and added the 4 towers 1587. The coat of arms of the Nevilles and Cecils are over the front door. (Listed Building Report)

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE262843
Latitude54.2545204162598
Longitude-1.59933996200562
Eastings426200
Northings484390
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Turner, Maurice, 2004, Yorkshire Castles: Exploring Historic Yorkshire (Otley: Westbury Publishing) p. 83, 247
  • Jackson, M.J., 2001, Castles of North Yorkshire (Carlisle) p. 77-8 (plan)
  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 94-5
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 396
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 299
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 526
  • Ryder, P.F., 1982 (paperback edn 1992), The Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (Ash Grove Book) p. 87-107
  • Illingworth, J.L., 1938 (republished 1970), Yorkshire's Ruined Castles (Wakefield) p. 143
  • Pevsner, N., 1966, Buildings of England: Yorkshire: North Riding (London, Penguin) p. 347-9
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1914, VCH Yorkshire: North Riding Vol. 1 p. 348-51 online transcription
  • Horsfall, T., 1912, Notes on the Manor of Well and Snape p. 87-101
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 2 p. 266-7 online copy
  • Whellan, T., 1857, History and topography of the city of York and the North Riding of Yorkshire (T Whellan and Co) Vol. 2 p. 387 online copy
  • Allen, T., 1831, A new and complete history of the county of York Vol. 3 p. 495
  • Grose, Francis, 1787, Antiquities of England and Wales (London) Vol. 8 p. 159 online copy

Antiquarian

  • Chandler, John, 1993, John Leland's Itinerary: travels in Tudor England  (Sutton Publishing) p. 564
  • Toulmin-Smith, Lucy (ed), 1909, The itinerary of John Leland in or about the years 1535-1543 (London: Bell and Sons) Vol. 4 p. 26 online copy

Journals

  • Worsley, G., 1986 March 6, 'Snape Castle, Yorkshire' Country Life Vol. 179 p. 570-75
  • 1972, The Archaeological Journal Vol. 128 p. 188
  • Pritchett, J.P., 1887, 'Works of the Nevilles' Journal of the British Archaeological Association Vol. 43 p. 232-3 and plan online copy

Other

  • Historic England, 2015, Heritage at Risk Yorkshire Register 2015 (London: Historic England) p. 28 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2014, Heritage at Risk Register 2014 Yorkshire (London: English Heritage) p. 32 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2013, Heritage at Risk Register 2013 Yorkshire (London: English Heritage) p. 32 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2012, Heritage at Risk Register 2012 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 50 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 46 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2010, Heritage at Risk Register 2010 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 45 online copy
  • English Heritage, 2009, Heritage at Risk Register 2009 Yorkshire and the Humber (London: English Heritage) p. 55 online copy