Lawkland Hall

Has been described as a Possible Pele Tower

There are uncertain remains

NameLawkland Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishLawkland

Lawkland Hall and garden walls. Large house. Late C16 west wing for Yorke family, with late C17 hall and east wing and east service range, mid C18 alterations, restored 1912-1914 by J N Ambler. Squared rubble, stone dressings, stone slate roof. Double ended hall plan. 2 storeys, 3 bays hall, left-hand projecting 2 storeys, 1 bay gabled service wing and right-hand projecting 3 storeys 1 bay gabled wing. Hall: central entrance has moulded surround, decorated lintel and C17 softwood door with applied moulding. Ingleby coat of arms above. All windows have leaded lights: 2 ground floor and 3 upper floor cross windows with cavetto mullions and transoms, dripmould to ground floor, hoodmoulds to upper floor. Small circular window to right on both floors. Right-hand iron rainwater head dated 1776. Central gabled dormer has 2-light double chamfered window and hoodmould. Gable coping to dormer, ball finials to kneelers and apex. Wings have c1912 five-light mullioned and transomed windows in ground and first floors. Left-hand wing has former 2-light double chamfered window in gable, mullion now missing; hoodmould. Ball finials to kneelers, finial base only to apex. Right-hand wing has rearranged 4 light double chamfered window in second floor with king mullion and C20 lintel; hoodmould. 2 light double chamfered mullioned window and hoodmould in gable. Crocketed finials to kneelers and c1912 cross finial to apex which replaces original. Left-hand gable end ridge stack, and ridge stack at junction of left-hand service wing and hall. Rear includes 4 storey staircase tower with 2-light chamfered mullioned window and hoodmould to second floor; upper 2 storeys project slightly on 4 stone corbels with a 2-light chamfered mullioned window on both floors; hipped roof with finials. 2 storey service range to right. Garden wall to east and west of hall runs south to stream. Rubble c2.5 metres high. Interior: contains late-C17 and mid-C18 panelling rearranged c.1912

Re-cut lintel in hall inscribed I AM 1679 Reused late C17 dog-leg staircase in hall inserted c.1912; closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail. First floor retains c.1912 tiled bathroom with fittings including sunken marble bath. Former chapel on second floor has chimney flue rearranged to form supposed priest's hole. Late C16 spiral stone staircase to tower leading to belvedere; exposed rafter inscribed ISI 1758 (J S Ingleby). Hall roof has collared principals with king posts, trenched purlins and angle struts. Roof of west wing reputed to have mid-C18 king posts with v struts and carved braces. Hall owned by Ingleby family from late C17 until 1912. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

King writes "tower of uncertain date". PastScape report reads "A large two-storey stone hall house with a two-storey east wing and a three-storey west wing. The date of the building of the house is uncertain, the earliest part of the present building dates to a rebuild of circa 1572. The building was altered to a country house in 1679."

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD776659
Latitude54.0886993408203
Longitude-2.34315991401672
Eastings377650
Northings465920
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 531 (possible)
  • Pevsner, N., 1959, Buildings of England: Yorkshire: West Riding (London, Penguin) p. 301 (brief)
  • Sanderson, G., 1911, Architectural Features of the Settle District (London)

Journals

  • Wood, 1960, Country Life Vol. 128 p. 1481

Other

  • 1985, Yorkshire Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report No 1032