Hutton Conyers Castle
Has been described as a Possible Timber Castle (Ringwork)
There are earthwork remains
|Name||Hutton Conyers Castle
|Alternative Names||Hutton Hall; Hall Garth; Huton
|Modern Authority||North Yorkshire
|1974 Authority||North Yorkshire
|Civil Parish||Hutton Conyers
The castle of Hutton Conyers, built c.1136 apparently consisted of a square central platform defended by a series of concentric banks and ditches which have been much mutilated probably when the stronghold was destroyed by Henry II. There appear to have been two oblong courts on the north and east and there are traces of an ancient road leading to an entrance at the south east angle of the eastern enclosure (l'Anson, 1913).
The castle earthworks are correctly described by l'Anson, and have been re-surveyed at 1/2500. Their mutilation is predominant on the southern side, where the main defences have been obliterated by a combination of quarrying and landslip. A series of slight parallel banks centred at SE 32647343, however, may represent remains of the outworks on this side. No entrance can now be identified at the south east angle; but there is no evidence of any approach to the site other than by the sunken track indicated by l'Anson. Within the area of the central platform, the ground is disturbed, and some loose stone is apparent, but no recognisable foundations are visible (Field Investigators Comments–F1 RWE 31-MAY-62).
Just north of the village is the site of Hutton Hall, the old moated manor-house of the Conyers, and subsequently of the Mallorys. In 1869 the site was occupied by a farm house dating from the 16th century which contained a ceiling decorated with the Mallory arms showing "that this house also had been at times the residence of the lords of the manor". (No building shown here on OS 6" 1856). According to tradition it was attacked during the civil wars by Parliamentary forces
There is no trace of the park which once surrounded the hall (Name Park Hill at SE 332738 on OS 6" 1856) (VCH).
Earthworks on Hutton moor (? SE 37 SE 3-Henge) or north of the village may be the castle of Earl Alan built in 1140 (Renn).
Earthwork remains are visible at this site on historic and recent air photos, the features that have been identified include a moat with outer enclosures, traces of settlement in the form of building platforms, a large platform and other ditches, drains, pits and hollows. The core of the complex appears to be the moated enclosure centred at SE 3250 7354. This comprises an inner platform measuring approximately 60x45m. On this platform there are at least 3 small rectilinear hollows which may be the remains of building platforms. The northern and eastern side of the moat are defined by a broad ditch some 10-12m wide, the northern side is further protected by a substantial bank and an outer ditch. The western and southern sides of the moat appear to have been heavily disturbed by later activities (see UID 1519325). Around the western and northern sides and north-east corner of the moat there are traces of a bank and ditched-defined outwork or outer enclosure, again the western side in particular has been heavily disturbed. These elements can be seen at SE 3244 7353 and SE 3250 7361. On the south-eastern side of the moat there is a large flat area or platform, centred at SE 3258 7353 and measuring approximately 90x50m, but again the south-western side has been mutilated. Low earthworks at the north-eastern corner of the platform at SE 3258 7356 are thought to be settlement remains and amongst these two possible building platforms have been tentatively identified. Further possible building platforms have been noted along the southern edge of the platform, eg at SE3260 7350 and SE3257 7348 though it is possible that these were later additions. Similarly the possible trackway at SE 3257 7347, which runs from the rear of a couple of extant house plots fronting on to Smith Lane to the south-east corner of the moat, may be later than the moat itself. (PastScape)
This site is a scheduled monument protected by law
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
|OS Map Grid Reference||SE326735