Danby Hall, Thornton Steward

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameDanby Hall, Thornton Steward
Alternative NamesDanby on Ure
Historic CountryYorkshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
1974 AuthorityNorth Yorkshire
Civil ParishThornton Steward

Country House. C14, 1658 and 1855. Rubble with ashlar dressings, ashlar, Welsh slate roofs. H-plan, 2 storeys. Entrance front facing east of 5 bays between long wings, bays 2 and 4 slightly projecting. Central classical entrance inscribed 'S. C. S. 1907'. Cross windows. Pierced and balustraded parapet, over end bays pierced to read 'S. S. 1658', referring to Simon Scrope I. Corniced ashlar stacks. Symmetrical 5-bay inner facades to wings, bays 2 and 4 slightly projecting, with cross windows, balustraded parapets. Rain water heads dated 1947. End elevations of wings: one bay cross windows, coped gables, apex finials. Right wing has C14 3-storey pele tower of very small plan area, with battered base, 2-light double-chamfered mullioned windows on first and second floors, crenellated parapet. Rest of right wing perhaps C14 in core, but its right return mainly of C18 sash windows with glazing bars. Rear elevation of cross range: irregular but original C17 2-light double-chamfered mullioned windows, also cross windows to staircase with stained glass. 5 gables with coping and finials, and 2-light mullioned windows with original leaded-light glazing. On the left an C18 wing; and c1900 Billiard Room to right. Garden front dated 1855 by Joseph Hansom. Ashlar. 1:3:3:3:1 bays. Plinth. Cross windows, string- courses. In centre 5-sided cantedbay. Square end bays supporting octagonal turrets for unfinished cupolas. Pierced parapet. Interior: fine original C17 newel staircase with turned balusters arid moulded handrail; C17 panelled drawing-room with bolection mouldings, ribbed corinthian pilasters, dado, entablative, painted and gilded. (Listed Building Report)

C14 pele tower, forming the core of a country house built around it in C17 and C18. The pele tower now forms the north east wing of the H-shaped house, which is built of stone with Welsh slate roofs. (PastScape)

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE159871
Latitude54.2798309326172
Longitude-1.75742995738983
Eastings415970
Northings487140
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Barbara Howard All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles and Tower Houses of Yorkshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 36
  • Ingham, Bernard, 2001, Bernard Ingham's Yorkshire Castles (Dalesman) p. 25
  • Emery, Anthony, 1996, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 1 Northern England (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 313
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 290
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 516
  • Ryder, P.F., 1982 (paperback edn 1992), The Medieval Buildings of Yorkshire (Ash Grove Book) p. 108-22
  • Pevsner, N., 1966, Buildings of England: Yorkshire: North Riding (London, Penguin) p. 137
  • Page, Wm (ed), 1914, VCH Yorkshire: North Riding Vol. 1 p. 265 online transcription
  • Ambler, L., 1913, The old halls and manor houses of Yorkshire, with some examples of other houses built before the year 1700 (London: Batsford) p. 52, 53 online copy

Journals

  • 1901, Country Life Vol. 9 p. 804-9