Broughton Manby Wood mound, Lincolnshire

Has been described as a Rejected Timber Castle (Motte)

There are cropmark/slight earthwork remains

NameBroughton Manby Wood mound, Lincolnshire
Alternative Names
Historic CountryLincolnshire
Modern AuthorityNorth Lincolnshire
1974 AuthorityHumberside
Civil ParishBroughton

"Barrow Hill" - this large mound excavated circa 1850 proved to be a "mere sand hill", not a tumulus. The site is now levelled and occupied by houses: no finds reported. The other two mounds marked as tumuli by the OS 6" 1908 are at SE 95580885 and SE 956087. The latter has a bank around the S and E sides, and appears to be a natural dune which built up around the stream which flows to the south. The mound lies on the line of Ermine Street, the sharp deviation in which may be relatively recent and be partly due to the former use of this area as a cattle rest. (PastScape–ref. Loughlin and Miller)

Gatehouse Comments

The location at opposite end of village from church and the manorial centre was there.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSE955086
Latitude53.5666618347168
Longitude-0.558120012283325
Eastings495500
Northings408600
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved
Photograph by Philip Davis. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Loughlin, Neil and Miller, Keith, 1979, A survey of archaeological sites in Humberside carried out for the Humberside Joint Archaeological Committee p. 190

Journals

  • Moore, J., 1851, The Archaeological Journal Vol. 8 p. 199 online copy