Claxton Castle

Has been described as a Certain Masonry Castle

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains

NameClaxton Castle
Alternative NamesClaxston
Historic CountryNorfolk
Modern AuthorityNorfolk
1974 AuthorityNorfolk
Civil ParishClaxton

Claxton Castle survives as a series of earthworks and one large wall with five remaining bastions. Part of the entrance gateway also survives including portcullis grooves. The earthworks show that the castle was a complex structure incorporating an inner moat and a possible outer ditched enclosure. In the late 16th or early 17th century a mansion with a porch tower was built at right angles to the remaining castle wall. This was demolished and replaced with Claxton Manor in the 17th century incorporating the porch tower. Later extensions and renovations through the 17th and 19th century included the addition of the south pile. Excavations in advance of the building of a swimming pool have revealed more of the castle gatehouse and castle walls. (Norfolk HER)

Remains of fortified house. Licence to castellate granted to William de Kerdiston in 1333 (sic), present remains probably later. Brick with flint and limestone. Long wall with three round towers. Remains of stair at east end: openings with eliptical brick arches. In the north face of the wall, a large off-centre arched opening now blocked; one tower against the western jamb of archway on south side of wall. Evidence of many blocked openings, quoins etc. Twin towers at south-east with arch between at low level. Western tower contains staircase. Thatched lean-to summer house at west end. (Listing Report)

Ruins of a 14th century fortified house, probably built 1333-40. Traces of the moat survive to the east. (PastScape)

Gatehouse Comments

The castle was actually licensed in 1340 and 1376.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceTG335037
Latitude52.5816307067871
Longitude1.44579005241394
Eastings633530
Northings303710
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Peggy All Rights Reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Cushion, B. and Davison, A., 2003, Earthworks of Norfolk (Dereham: East Anglian Archaeology 104) p. 92-3 (plan)
  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles of East Anglia (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 56
  • Liddiard, R., 2000, Landscapes of Lordship (British Archaeological Reports British Series 309) p. 115-7
  • Emery, Anthony, 2000, Greater Medieval Houses of England and Wales Vol. 2 East Anglia, Central England and Wales (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press) p. 79
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 158
  • Rogerson, Andrew, 1994, 'Castles' in Wade-Martins, P, (ed), An Historical Atlas of Norfolk (2edn Norwich; Norfolk Museums) p. 68-9
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 2 p. 307
  • Fry, P.S., 1980, Castles of the British Isles (David and Charles) p. 209
  • Wilton, J.W., 1979, Earthworks and Fortifications of Norfolk (Weathercock Press) p. 26-7
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1962, The Buildings of England: Norfolk: North-West and South (Penguin) p. 121
  • Mackenzie, J.D., 1896, Castles of England; their story and structure (New York: Macmillan) Vol. 1 p. 308 online copy
  • Turner, T.H. and Parker, J.H., 1859, Some account of Domestic Architecture in England (Oxford) Vol. 3 Part 2 p. 412, 417 online copy
  • Blomefield, F., 1809, 'Loddon Hundred: Claxton' An Essay towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk Vol. 10 p. 111-18 (tenurial history) online transcription

Antiquarian

Journals

  • Liddiard, Robert, 2006, 'Early castles in the Medieval Landscape of East Anglia' Château Gaillard Vol. 22 p. 243-50
  • Cozens-Hardy, 1958-61, Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 32 p. 174
  • Rudd, 1926, Norfolk Archaeology Vol. 22 p. v-vi
  • 1880, Norfolk Antiquarian Miscellany Vol. 2 p. 86-96

Primary Sources

  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1898, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1338-40) Vol. 4 p. 529 online copy
  • Maxwell Lyte, H.C. (ed), 1916, Calendar of Patent Rolls Edward III (1374-77) Vol. 16 p. 395 online copy