Corby Glen Motte

Has been described as a Certain Timber Castle (Motte)

There are earthwork remains

NameCorby Glen Motte
Alternative Names
Historic CountryLincolnshire
Modern AuthorityLincolnshire
1974 AuthorityLincolnshire
Civil ParishCorby Glen

The moated mound near the church at Corby is supposed to have been the site of a castellated mansion, and is scheduled as moated castle mound (White 1872).

Published survey (25") revised. A small castle mound, no surface evidence of a bailey. The work attains a maximum height of 4.8m and has a slightly hollowed top; no building foundations are evident (MoW list 1961).

The mound described ... was seen as an earthwork (centred at SK 9999 2512) on poor quality air photographs. It is approximately 48m long, oval in shape, surrounded by a deep ditch, and considered to be a Medieval motte (Morph No. LI.800.4.1). (PastScape)

Situated just to the north-east of the market place in Corby Glen, a large moated site seems to mark an early defended manor house. Although described as Castle Mound on recent Ordnance Survey maps, no trace of an associated bailey has been found. The earthwork is subrectangular and encloses a raised centre comprising some 1,000 square metres. There is a low inner bank along the north, east and southern sides of the mound, possibly marking the line of a wall, and a shallow outer bank. The western half of the main moat contained water at the time of survey and there was also water in a short length of ditch on the east side of the site beyond the outer bank. This ditch is 11 metres wide from rim to rim and three metres deep, and although from its position it appears to be part of the complex, it has been disturbed. The width of the main moat varies between 11 to 19 metres from rim to rim and its depth from five to three metres. At its north-west edge the outer bank is very slight. There are willow trees and shrubs around the edges of the moat, but most of the site is under grass. Surrounding ground levels are very irregular, again probably as a result of small scale quarrying, as the limestone here is near the surface

When a bungalow was built south-west of the site in 1973, this was confirmed by the presence of a quantity of stone, none of it apparently structural. (David Roffe ref. Lincs SMR)

Gatehouse Comments

The site is as much an moated manor house on an elevated building platform as a large low motte with wet ditch.

- Philip Davis

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law

Not Listed

Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSK999251
Latitude52.8143615722656
Longitude-0.517849981784821
Eastings499990
Northings325120
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Copyright Dave Barlow of Abaroths World All rights reserved
Copyright Tim Heaton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons license.

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Osborne, Mike, 2010, Defending Lincolnshire: A Military History from Conquest to Cold War (The History Press) p. 32
  • Salter, Mike, 2002, The Castles of the East Midlands (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 48
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 148 (slight)
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus and John Harris; revised by Nicholas Antram, 1989, Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (Harmondsworth) p. 500
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 260
  • Steel, D.I.A., 1979, A Lincolnshire Village: the Parish of Corby Glen in its Historical Context (London) p. 9-12
  • White, W., 1872 (3 edn), History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire p. 594 online copy