Borwick Hall

Has been described as a Certain Pele Tower

There are major building remains

NameBorwick Hall
Alternative Names
Historic CountryLancashire
Modern AuthorityLancashire
1974 AuthorityLancashire
Civil ParishBorwick

House, mainly of late 16th century date, incorporating a 14th century pele tower. The main front dates from 1595, with the four storey tower to the right. The three storey wing to the right of the tower may be earlier than 1595. Built of rubble with slate roofs. The gatehouse is dated 1650 and is also rubble-built, with a stone roof. The two storey stables are probably mid 17th century in date, with a reset date stone inscribed 1590. The ground floor is now used as workshops. (PastScape)

House, now Residential Centre. Late C16th with C14th remains. Rubble, partly roughcast, with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Main front faces south-west and is of 7 bays. Bays 1-5 are of 1595 and have 2 storeys with attics and mullioned and transomed windows. At the left is a one-bay cross-wing. Over the central bay of the hall is a gabled stone attic dormer. At the right is a projecting gabled porch of 2½ storeys having a semi-circular cyma-moulded head to the outer doorway and moulded impost band. The inner doorway is moulded with a studded oak door. Above the outer door is a coat of arms added by Mr. George Marton who bought the house in 1854. To the right is the c14th peel of 4 storeys whose floors do not align with those of the C16th wings. It has a battlemented parapet and late C16th windows, transomed except for the lowest, semi-basement, floor which is simply mullioned. To the right of the peel is a 1-bay gabled projecting wing of 3 storeys with attic with mullioned windows, said to be earlier than the 1595 wing (V.C.H.).

The front has two continuous drip courses, interrupted by the peel tower, with gable copings, kneelers and finials. The right-hand return wall has two chimney stacks corbelled out at 1st floor level. At the rear of the peel is a wing running north-east similar in style to the 1595 wing but said to be earlier (V.C.H.)

At right-angles to it is a narrower wing forming a courtyard with the rear of the hall and having a projecting timber framed gallery.

Interior. The hall is lined with square C17th panelling. The fireplace is moulded with a 4-centred head with initials 'RB', said to be a reconstruction (V.C.H.). A moulded stone doorway leads to the front room of the cross-wing which has a fireplace with 4-centred head having spandrel decoration. The main room of the rear wing has a wide chamfered segmental-arched fireplace in the main room, once the kitchen. Rising from the rear of the hall to the attic is a stone closed well stair. At attic level, on the platform above the closed well and extending to form a balustrade, are alternate narrow and wide columns supporting a coping inscribed 'Alixander Brinsmead Mason 1595'. On the 1st and attic floors close-studded timber-framed partitioning is visible in a number of rooms. (Listed Building Report)

Gatehouse Comments

Unfortunately cursed by a reputation of being haunted which means most online searches produce useless nonsense for what is an interesting tower. Used as an educational centre by Lancashire County Council so not generally open to the public.

- Philip Davis

Not scheduled

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law

Historic England Scheduled Monument Number
Historic England Listed Building number(s)
Images Of England
Historic England (PastScape) Defra or Monument number(s)
County Historic Environment Record
OS Map Grid ReferenceSD525730
Latitude54.150821685791
Longitude-2.72779989242554
Eastings352560
Northings473030
HyperLink HyperLink HyperLink
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved
Photograph by Matthew Emmott. All rights reserved

Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.

Calculate Print

Books

  • Salter, Mike, 2001, The Castles and Tower Houses of Lancashire and Cheshire (Malvern: Folly Publications) p. 23
  • Pettifer, A., 1995, English Castles, A guide by counties (Woodbridge: Boydell Press) p. 133
  • King, D.J.C., 1983, Castellarium Anglicanum (London: Kraus) Vol. 1 p. 244
  • Gibson, Leslie Irving, 1977, Lancashire Castles and Towers (Dalesman Books)
  • Pevsner, Nikolaus, 1969, Buildings of England: Lancashire, The rural north (Harmondsworth) p. 74
  • Farrer, William and Brownbill, J. (eds), 1914, VCH Lancashire Vol. 8 p. 172-4 online transcription

Journals

  • Hussey, 1935, Country Life Vol. 78 p. 142-8
  • Ford, J.R., 1925, 'Borwick Hall' Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society Vol. 25 p. 275-86 online copy
  • Tipping, 1911, Country Life Vol. 29 p. 710-16
  • Waite, James A., 1898, 'The lesser-known gatehouses and gateways of Lancashire and Cheshire' Transactions of the Historic Society of Lancashire and Cheshire Vol. 50 p. 75- esp 95-96 (illus) online copy